[Granville-Hough] 28 Jan 2010 - Remembering Cousin Ell Sullivan

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Sun Jan 28 07:51:13 PST 2018

Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:40:44 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Remembering Cousin Ell Sullivan - 28 Jan 2010

  Reverend Ell Sullivan was a Baptist minister, one of the sons of
Cousin Ellen ("Toodie") (Cole) Sullivan of the preaching, teaching family.
Toward the end of the 1930 decade, I did get to met Rev. Ell Sullivan.
He had embarked on a mission to revitalize the old Salem church where
he, the Richardsons, Bowens, Arenders, Baldwins, Maddoxes, and other
Sullivans had attended on Upper Cohay.  After visiting Glaston and Ell's
sister Clemmie Sullivan up near the Mize-Magee road, he came by the Jim
Richardson home to give a report on how things were going at the old
church.  He was evidently successful, as the church was active again in
the 1950 and 1960 era.  I can remember how my mother and grandfather
treated Rev. Ell as an honored guest.
    It was a labor of love, but he had his work cut out for him, as the
old Salem community had deteriorated after the Cohay Lumber Camp closed
down.  It had become a center for moon-shining, cattle rustling, timber
stealing, and theft of public property.

AND IT WAS GOOD!  Our hope for eternal life in the hereafter does not
spring from a longing for a spiritual existence, but grows out of our
love for life upon this earth, which we have tried and found good.
(Robert J. Shores.)  Thank you, Mr. Shores,  you have given me a new
thought to ponder for the day!