[Granville-Hough] 27 Jan 2010 - Lost Families

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Sat Jan 27 05:54:14 PST 2018

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 08:04:59 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Lost Families - 27 Jan 2010

JOE SULLIVAN AND MARGARET (BISHOP), GEN 4

    Joe Sullivan (                ) is recalled as a son of Henry Norris
Sullivan and Maranda (Rollins).  It is recalled that Joe md Margaret
(Bishop).  Very little is remembered about this family, and Joe being a
son may indeed be true.  However, the family must first be found in
records which are consistent with that statement.  It seems likely the
family left Smith County soon after 1900 and may have moved to Copiah or
Lincoln county.

 The Lost but not Forgotten Families.

    Joe and Margaret (Bishop) Sullivan represent a recalled family which
I have been unable to identify in available records.  How could someone
live through several censuses, do normal things in life, and get
married, and leave no records?  There is, first, the census void from
1880 until 1900, when females could be born, marry, and disappear into
the records of another surname.  This happened to quite a number of
female Sullivan descendants, especially those born between 1880 and
1885, as few waited until they were 20 years old to marry.  Males of the
same period could also be lost, as some, like Abraham Lincoln, would
strike out on their own between ages 16 and 20.  So we have this census
void to consider.
    Then, the other way to get lost was to have a common name, but to be
actually known and recorded by a nickname, or the reverse, to be
recorded by the nickname on some records and by the full name on
others.  Thus, people I knew as T. J., G. W., A. J., J. D, might be
recorded  several ways.  The census might show T. J. as Thomas
Jefferson, Tom, or Jeff.  I, personally, learned in grade school never
to sign my homework as G. W. Hough, as the teacher would then call on me
as George Hough, to which I would not respond.  I learned to write out
my name laboriously, Granvil W. Hough.
    So, who was Joe Sullivan?  What was his real name?  How is he
recorded in the census?  If there was no Joe, what child of Norris and
Ran Sullivan seems to be missing?  Is there a missing Joe in another
family?.  That is what we must work on.
Thoughtful prayer by unknown author:
"May God send you
enough joy to keep your heart singing,
enough sorrow to make you understanding,
enough trials to keep you strong,
enough leisure to refresh your spirits,
and enoough love to make the world beautiful."