[Granville-Hough] 22 Jan 2010 - Classmate Tachito Somoza

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Mon Jan 22 05:22:56 PST 2018

Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 08:32:25 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Classmate Tachito Somoza - 22 Jan 2010

    I had a high regard for most of my classmates in the class of 1946
at West Point, but not for Anastasio "Tachita" Somoza-Debayle.  As a
Cadet he was arrogant and belligerent, and the underground rumors were
that he had been caught lying about some action or activity in his first
year.  The Honor Committee began an investigation, and Tachita
immediately appealed for help from the Nicaraguan Embassy in
Washington.  The Embassy contacted Anastasio, Sr, President of
Nicaragua, who called President Roosevelt and threatened to cut off all
WW II support of the United States by Nicaragua if his son were expelled
from West Point.  To President Roosevelt, this was too high a price to
pay to uphold the West Point honor code, so he passed the word to squash
the investigation and forget it ever happened.  So this was an
impression we carried through our three years with Tachita Somoza.  On
graduation day, as soon as ceremonies were over, Tachita appeared in a
Major's uniform of the Nicaraguan Army, and all us Second Lieutenants,
U. S. Army, had to salute him.  Soon after graduation, he became head of
the Nicaraguan National Guard.  Of course, he was the first classmate to
become a General, and the only one to become President of his country.
    My next contact with Tachita was while he was a General, and he was
passing through the Panama Canal from the Pacific side to the Atlantic
side. This was probably in 1951.  It was customary to fire a salute for
any head of a foreign government which passed through the Canal.  I was
a battery commander, and it just happened to be my turn to do the
honors.  I had followed Tachita's career through "The Christian Science
Monitor," and the local Panamanian newspaper.  I believed he was
crooked, through and through, and told my Battalion Commander what I
thought.  I asked to be relieved as I considered it a disgrace for the
United States to honor this character.  Fortunately, Capt and Classmate
Fred Hickey was next in line to do the salutes, and he did not know
Tachita at the Academy.  He fired the salute, and did it very well.
    It was about this time that Tachita began attending the annual Class
Reunions.  He became quite popular and docked his personal yacht in the
Hudson River near enough to hold class parties aboard.  He also worked
out guided tours of Nicaragua for classmates who wanted to see what he
was doing.  He developed a backlog of support among our classmates.  As
I never attended a Class Reunion, I missed all this action.
    My next contact was at Fort Bliss about 1958.  All members of our
class then stationed at Fort Bliss were ordered to attend a reception in
formal attire.  I decided not to make an issue of it at this time.
Tachita had a big following among conservative Republicans and John
Birchers in my class.  I attended the event as a Captain, spoke briefly
to Tachita, and left as soon as it was convenient to do so.  Later, he
was elected President of Nicaragua, and he held power until the
Sandinistas took over  In his regime, he dealt ruthlessly with
opposition.  By the late 1970s his regime was denounced by human-rights
organizations and by the U. S. government, and support for violent
insurrection spread.  Tachita fled Nicaragua on the eve of the
revolutionary victory in 1979.  He was assassinated in Paraguay.
    Anastasio "Tachita" Somoza Debayle (5 Dec 1925, Leon, Nicaragua - 17
Sep 1980, Asuncion, Paraguay.)
    May he and his victims rest in peace!  Granville W. Hough, Classmate.