[Granville-Hough] 21 Jan 2010 - Remembering Nurse Tiny

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Sun Jan 21 05:48:53 PST 2018

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:02:04 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Remembering Nurse Tiny- 21 Jan 2010

  One of the Sullivans I remember very well was Nurse Tiny, who may have
also been a Clark cousin. She had married her cousin, Steven Hooper
Sullivan, and she was the community nurse in her community. So far as I
know, she and Steven had only one child, Dorothy, who md John Pickering.
This is what I said about her.

I remember a Tiny Sullivan who had been a schoolmate of Uncle Coley
Richardson in Smith County Agricultural High School. She became a
Registered Nurse, and lived in the Oak Grove Community which merged into
the Shiloh community in Covington County. In 1930, she and Steven lived
between James A. Gentry and George T. Sullivan. When my grandfather Jim
Richardson became seriously ill with influenza one winter, Coley went to
find his old schoolmate to see if she could come and help with my
grandfatherÆs care. When she arrived she took command. She was actually
about five feet tall and two feet wide, but her command presence was
more like six by three. We followed her instructions and she took over
GrandpaÆs care in the living room, and we did what she instructed in the
kitchen and rest of the house. I donÆt know when or where she slept. I
think it was in GrandpaÆs chair by the fireplace. In a week, she had
Grandpa on the mend and she bade us goodby. Grandpa lived 14 more years
and died at age 92. We were forever grateful for Nurse Tiny and her
work. It has to be the same Tiny Sullivan. Grandpa Hough.