[Granville-Hough] 2 Jan 2010 - Smoking

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Tue Jan 2 04:53:11 PST 2018

Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 06:29:19 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Smoking - 2 Jan 2010

3438-B Bahia Blanca West
Laguna Hills, CA 92653-2830

Joel Lautenschleger. Councilmember
City of Laguna Hills
25201 Paseo de Alicia, Suite #150
Laguna Hills, CA 92629

Dear Mr. Lautenschleger:

    I am writing in support of the ban of smoking in restaurants and in
the work places in Laguna Hills, and for eliminating all tobacco vending
machines.

    I do not believe there will be any effect on restaurants.  Just as
many people have to eat where there is no smoking as where there is
smoking.  I never eat in restaurants where I know there is smoking, and
I would go to other restaurants if they did  allow it.

    I go further on tobacco sales.  I do not support the subsidies on
growth of tobacco any more than I would subsidize the growth of plants
which give us coccaine, heroin, or marijuana.  I do not believe the
sales of tobacco should be any more legal than the sales of any other
addictive drug.  Abolish, tax, or do whatever is necessary to reduce the
availability of the tobacco drug.

    As for tobacco in the workplace, it would seem clear that companies
which allow it are asking for trouble in workers compensation.  I have
known too many people (ex-smokers) who have had lung cancer, lung
removal, chemo-therapy, etc, all largely paid for by others.  It would
seem financially prudent for any company hiring a smoker to require that
smoker to waive all rights to future claims for compensation for
diseases based on smoking.  For non-smokers who are hired to work in a
smoking environment, companies may have increased costs from diseases
related to second-hand smoke.

    Allowing smoking or tobacco sales is simply a no-win situation for
public citizens.  FREEDOM TO SMOKE IS THE FREEDOM TO TAX AND SICKEN
OTHERS!!!

                             Yours sincerely,

                             Granville W. Hough
                             Professor of Management, CSUF