[Granville-Hough] 19 Feb 2010 - Bishop and Arender memories

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Mon Feb 19 05:56:29 PST 2018

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:07:26 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Bishops -19 Feb 2010

    When I have no planned message, someone provides.  This time it was
Harold Hopkins.  It contains bits and pieces which we may have included
in messages last year..

-------------------------------

Harold Hopkins:

  That was a nice  piece!  I knew you were kin to the Arenders, but
didn't know just how.   I've probably told you before
that I never knew any Arenders until I got to high school at Mize.
 There,  Clyde Arender, and his sister, Ruth, were in my high school
class.  Ruth  shortly afterward left school to get married to  Clarence
Bishop, and they bought and operated a restaurant in Mize in the
building adjacent to Lee Currie's big wooden store on the east side of
the main street.  I remember that the Bishop restaurant's  jukebox
blared loud and long, night and day.

I remember that Rastus Bishop's family had an organ  in his front
room played  for dances.  This must have been one of the few homes in
Smith County that tolerated dancing back in those days, when many
considered dances and the accompanying activities  sinful!  Rastus also
had a cane mill for making molasses, as I remember.   He was a fairly
prosperous farmer.   Wessie (Bishop) Ingraham used to write a news
 column for the /Smith County Reformer/ around 1980 or so, mainly about
the people in and around her own neighborhood of Rose Hill, which is on
the old Shady Grove road.  All the Bishops apparently were buried at
Calvary Cemetery.

And as to Clyde Arender.  He was a very jovial fellow, spoke with a kind
of lisp.  He was a sizable guy, kind of clumsy, and played as a lineman
on the Mize football team. He was a very likable and I always wondered
how he made out in life. I see in the /Smith County Cemeteries/ book
that he died in 1978 and was buried at the Raleigh (North) Cemetery  and
that he had a wife named Maxine Hardin, who apparently was still alive
when the cemetery book was printed about 1999.  I see that there is
another family named /Arinder/ with members buried mostly at Lorena.

-----

(GWH: Clyde and his older brother
Reverend Coley Arender moved to West Texas until late in their lives
when they returned to Smith County.  I think they were just normal
folks.)
    To begin, I want to take the advice of my niece when she as a
teen-ager speaking in the local dialect: "I ain't gonna say nothin' bout
nobody - they may be my kinfolks."
----------------------------
    The Arinders are descendants of Tillman Arinder who was brother to
my great grandfather Sampson Arender.  Neither could read nor write.
After Confederate service, different school teachers or preachers told
them how to spell their name, so Uncle Tillman became Arinder and my
great grandfather became Arender.   Before, they had been usually
recorded as Orrender.  Their own father had disappeared before 1840.
They were reared, somewhat hap-hazardly, by their McCarty maternal
uncles of Wayne, Scott, and Rankin counties.  Both were married tenant
farmers for their uncles many years.  They each got possession of some
land after they were at least 60 years old.
    My other Bishop connection is from the first Governor Whitfield, who
had come from South or North Carolina...  He married one of the Simpson
County Bishops.  My great grandmother, Nancy Bowen Arender knew her
grandfather was Billy Whitfield from SC and that he had died in Simpson
County before 1840.  She and Governor Whitfield worked it out that they
were cousins.  So GGrandma Nancy was sure she was kin to them thar
Governor Whitfields.  (My niece works for a psychiatric hospital which
used to be called Whitfield.  It was named in honor of one of the
Governors.)
    The story of often told of Wild Bill and Neese Sullivan capturing
travelers on the road and working them as mules and then locking them in
stables and feeding them corn.  One of their victims was Tillman Bishop,
who lived North of Magee but was making his periodic pilgrimage to
Ellisville to get supplies.  Tillman was a big strong fellow who made a
pretty good mule.  When locked up for his corn lunch, Tillman said,
somewhat as an afterthought, "You shouldn't do this to me.  I am your
kin, I married Polly, daughter of Lod."  Wild Bill and Neese consulted
and said:  "You are right and we are sorry.  Anyone who married Polly,
the ugliest Sullivan girl ever born, deserves the best we have.  So they
seated Tillman at their dinner table and fed him all he could eat.
Tillman did as he was told and let the remark pass about Polly being
ugly.  He did find another way to get home from Ellisville.