[Granville-Hough] 9 Feb 2010 - Our Quaker Heritage

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Fri Feb 9 05:44:10 PST 2018

Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 09:28:51 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Our Quaker Heritage - 9 Feb 2010

    Far to the west in England, at an old Roman town, named Chester, is
the home of the Hough and Huff families.  Many of us show our yDNA to be
"Viking," but Chester also is the home of one segment of the Christian
Church, called Quakers.  We in US history think of Quakers as people who
came to Pennsylvania with William Penn.  We can actually go back to
Chester and find a church much like those which were established in
America.  The Religious Society of Friends began  as a renewal movement
in English Christianity around 1650.  In some communities,  the movement
was persecuted, and many groups joined with William Penn to settle
Pennsylvania.  Some moved west and south to establish Monthly Meetings
in Virginia and North Carolina.  Later, these groups moved into Ohio and
Indiana.  They called themselves Quakers or Friends.
    Quakers consider themselves to be Christian, though some would say
simply that they are Quakers.  All Friends value teaching and
inspiration of Jesus, though usually without the theological
speculations which grew up about him later.  Present-day Quakers cover a
broad spectrum of belief, reflecting the spiritual searching of today,
and sharing a lively exchange of thought and experience.
    Most Friends would agree with present day Friend Harvey Gillman, who
said: "There is a creative loving power in all people and the world
around.  Many people call it God, though it is beyond names.  Everyone
can bcome aware of it directly by listening to its promptings in their
hearts.'
    The worship service belongs to everybody.  One takes part by being
present, by learning to be still, and opening ourselves to the creative
principle of truth and love which we may call God.  There are no
ministers nor priests, just a quiet openness from all present.
    As people arrive, they join  in a circle of expectant silence.
There are no greetings, no songs, no recitations; just each person
finding their own still center and pondering what is most important to
them.  Then someone may rise and give a bible reading.  Others may read
from the anthology of /Quaker Faith and Practice, /and still others may
speak from the depths of their experience and heart; fine words or long
speeches aren't needed.  Nor is there discussion of topical matters.
Then the group returns to the creative silence.  Sometimes there is
silence for most of the hour; sometimes there are several spoken
contributions.  The meeting starts about 10:30 and ends when two elders
arise and shake hands.  Then everyone shakes hands  and there are
notices and chat over coffee.
     There are also weekly meetings over lunch, and the children are
especially provided for on Sunday services with trained supervisors.  I
would like to attend one of the meetings just to see what sort of
religious thinking our ancestors brought to America.
    I do know that the Monthly Meetings in America became leaders in the
Anti-slavery movement, the careful keeping of records, and other
movements for the freedoms of mankind.  Today, they are leaders in the
Copenhagen movement for stopping global warming.  I take pride that
Hough and Huff families share the Quaker heritage.  They were our
people.  May we carry forward some of their ideals, beliefs, and
practices.  Amen!

"Getting to know Chester Quaker Meeting at the Quaker Meeting House in
Frodsham Street."