[Granville-Hough] 23 Nov 2009 - Thanksgiving Shopping

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Thu Feb 8 06:54:38 PST 2018

My father missed a day so I found one from last year that wasn't sent.

Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:27:40 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Thanksgiving shopping

     I got my procrit and neupogen injections, then went by Trader
Joes's to get some Thanksgiving goodies.  I got two fine pieces of
salmon (enough for four), sweet potatoes, fresh corn, bananas, tomatoes,
colorful New York apples, pecans, walnuts, raw cranberry relish, pumpkin
tart, fresh bread, cornbread mix, banana bread mix, sharp cheddar
cheese, and sliced turkey.  My thought is to have a salmon dinner
whenever David and Kendrick want it on Friday, then the other goodies
for when we get hungry.
    Actually, I never remember having turkey at Thanksgiving before I
went to Mississippi State in 1941.  As I explained to David, turkeys did
not grow well in flocks in our part of Mississippi , and what we could
not grow, we did not eat.  I am sure we did have some form of chicken
instead, but I do not remember any big occasion.  That was reserved for
Christmas.  Actually, Thanksgiving was our last school holiday when we
could do our final harvesting of corn, beans, and field peas.  If we got
all that done, we began cutting and gathering wood for making molasses
and for winter use.  So we considered Thanksgiving as our last three-day
work period of the fall.  When Christmas came, that was a winter holiday
and a winter work period.  We would try to have fresh pork and sausage
if we had a really cold spell before Christmas, and we would have fresh
molasses for muffins and pies, plus some fatted hen or rooster.  Some of
our city aunts or uncles would bring some turkey and mincemeat pies, so
we became familiar with strange foods which other people thought were
commonplace.
    Whatever you eat for Thanksgiving, may it nourish your body and soul
and give you thanks for God's blessings. In Jesus name, we pray.  Granville.