[Granville-Hough] 12 Sep 2009 - near the old nike site on mt gleason

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Tue Sep 12 18:10:30 PDT 2017

Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:20:01 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: near the old nike site on mt gleason - 12 Sep 2009

	My son, David Hough, is hiking the entire Pacific Crest Trail, segment
by segment.  He sent me this story of the old Nike site on Mount
Gleason.  It had become the retraining center for non-dangerous convicts
who were healthy enough to become firefighters.  Their leaders were the
two men who died when their vehicle missed the turn in an 800 high fire
road.  I was able to watch their funeral yesterday while various
speakers eulogized them for their life and efforts, including the
Vice-President, Joe Biden.  I was of course in the hospital with gout.
	The men in the barracks kept trying to contact them, to no avail, They
pulled out just as the roofs of their barracks fell in.  They learned
the bad news, got some rest and food, and went back on the firing line.
  I hope you can see the terrain as it was, and as it became in a few
hours.  May God bless all fire-fighters!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112397760

The PCT went right by there.