[Granville-Hough] 11 Sep 2009 - Regular Army Commissions

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Tue Sep 12 06:10:36 PDT 2017

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:51:22 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Re: usma1946: RE: RA commisons -11 Sep 2009

People often are curious about what West Pointers do after their years
in the army, followed by years of probable recall, if needed.  We get
involved in all sorts of things of interest to us, but of marginal
interest to others.
	We are now involved in a problem generated 8 years ago today, in New
York City.  We were successfully side-tracked in our hunt for the
perpetrator, Osama-bin-Laden, so that we are still trying to decide what
to do about Afghanistan.  In addition, we have perpetual warhawks
raising a fuss about Iran.  One of the inevitable facts of war and peace
is that any country which wants nuclear weapons will proceed to get
them.  We might divert them in some way from damaging OUR interests, but
that may be all we can do.
	Iran has proposed to have international talks (on their terms), but we
prefer not.  How about a change of strategy?  Let's negotiate with Iran
and offer them all of Afghanistan, the Taliban, Karzai, the opium
fields, the whole kit and kaboodle.  That would keep them busy for quite
a few years.  Better them than us.  Grampa.

     Jim, it was nice to see your comments.  I agree with you.
     I often think about the time in 1947 when we were going out for
service practice in Korea, and you were sent ahead to see what the folks
with white coats were doing bobbing up and down in our impact area.  It
turned out they were  huge Siberian cranes stopping over on their way to
wintering grounds in Hokkaido, Japan.  I recall you saying they were as
tall as you were.
     With my regards, Granville Hough.

E J Fuller wrote:

> I think the AOG should drop their effort to reinstate the RA Commissions.  I
> don't think it has any significant effect on retention of good officers.
> Awarding an RA commission should be based on performance as an officer and
> not on graduation from West Point or as a distinguished ROTC cadet.  We had
> a few members of our class that were poor officers, alcoholics and playboys
> after graduation. I also had officers from other sources of commissions that
> were outstanding. The RA commission should be awarded to those with a proven
> track record as an officer.  Those that do not get the RA commission should
> get out for their own sake and for the good of the overall Army.
>
> I think that Congressmen probably think the effort to reinstate the RA
> commission on graduation is an effort by West Pointers to line their own
> nests and is not a question worth wasting their time on.  I don't think it
> helps our image.
>
> Jim Fuller, A-2, fuller at tconl.com
>
> (usma1946) Posted By: FULLER Jim 1946 15672 A2 <fuller at tconl.com>

Elisha James Fuller and I were classmates at West Point in the same
battalion.  We often has classes together.  Grampa.