[Granville-Hough] 17 Oct 2009 - Eulogy for Hiram Miller

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Tue Oct 17 05:02:07 PDT 2017

Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 10:00:46 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: 6 Jan 2009, Eulogy for Hiram Miller

Zion HillÆs First Eulogy: Memory of Brother Hiram Miller.

When Hiram Miller joined Zion Hill Church, he had already established
himself as a Deacon; and he joined the church as a Deacon, the only
person found to do so. He served the church as Deacon, Moderator for
Church conferences, and visitor to those in trouble. Immediately after
he died, the church in conference moved on Mar 10, 1867, that a eulogy
be prepared and spread among the church members as an example.

ôMemory of Brother Hiram Miller

Brother Miller was born in South Carolina and moved to Mississippi when
a boy, married and raised a family. He died March 7, 1867, and in the
death of Brother Miller, the church has lost one of its brightest
members, and Sister Miller a kind husband, and his children a loving
father, the neighborhood a kind neighbor. But we bow with humble
resignation to the will of our Heavenly Father, feeling confident that
our loss is his gain. We deeply sympathize with the bereaved family but
say to them: æSorrow not as those that have no hope; for if you believe
that Jesus died and rose again, those that sleep in Jesus will God bring
û wherefore comfort one another with these words.Æ His funeral was
preached by Elder Wilson West April 21, 1867, text Hebrews, Chapter 9,
verse 27, æAnd it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the
judgement,Æ the above memory to be spread upon the church book by order
of the church. (signed, Wilson West, Moderator. Henderson Sulivan, Clerk.)ö

This is the first time I have ever known the date of my
great-grandfatherÆs death, or that my great grandmother survived him. I
still do not know for sure where he is buried. I think it was likely he
was buried in the Miller Cemetery, which Great Grandpa Hiram had
established when his son, William Miller, was killed by a falling tree.
Certainly, he must have been buried immediately, as his funeral was
preached six weeks later.

As I look ahead in the Zion Hill minutes, I see a second great eulogy in
1895, that of Henderson Sullivan, the first person baptized on
Organization Day, 29 Sep 1851, and the long-time church clerk who signed
the obituary of Hiram Miller.

We descendants can take pride that our ancestor (my great grandfather)
was so honored in his own time; and it is our heritage to uphold. We can
also note the preacher at his funeral was my great uncle, Reverend
Wilson West, who had married Mary Jane Hough.

Mitchell Sullivan wrote:
> *            Is this Henderson Sullivan you mention here the son>
> *       of Tom?  Is he one of the 22? *

Yes, indeed he was one of the 22, father of the infamous Wild Bill and
Nease and Louisa.  He would be half-uncle to your grandfather
Henderson.  From all reports, he was one of the honorable men of the
community.  He and Hiram Miller were the only two honored with a eulogy,
30 years apart almost.  With my regards, Granville.