[Granville-Hough] 16 Oct 2009 - Them Thar Pee Dee River Ancestors

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Mon Oct 16 06:15:43 PDT 2017

Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 06:23:21 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: ThemThar PeeDee River Ancestors - 16 Oct 2009

    Them Thar Pee Dee River Ancestors.

    Great Grandma Nancy (Bowen) Arender could talk quite eloquently
about the two Whitfield governors of Mississippi.  She had apparently
met the first one as a lawyer whose practice included Raleigh, and this
Whitfield had married into the strong Bishop family of Smith and Simpson
County..  Yes, indeed, she said, we came from William "Billy" Whitfield,
who was kin to them thar other Whitfields who were governors and
political leaders of Mississippi.  Grandma Nancy spoke with assurance as
she had both the family tradition and the belief of the educated ???
Whitfield who was the future governor.  (What she did not take into
consideration was the fact that politicians then, as now, considered
each cousin they met as a vote they could count.  You could even stretch
the relationship if you were not sure.)
    By 1814, William "Billy" Whitfield lived in Warren County, and he
shows up there on tax records, then in 1820 on the census.  By 1830, he
had moved to Simpson County and was 60 to 70 years old.  This would have
put him in a suitable age bracket to have served in the Rev. War.  By
1800, one William Whitfield lived in SC on the Pee Dee River and
represented his area in the SC state legislature.  This legislator from
the Pee Dee River is, I believe, our ancestor.  The root stock of the
Whitfields seems to have been across the border in NC, with some
branches drifting down the Pee Dee into SC.  Abraham Bowen, Grandma
Nancy's other grandfather, took the same route, according to her traditions.
    Billy Whitfield was not particularly successful in MS, and must have
died in Simpson County before 1840.  In trying to identify the name of
Billy Whitfield's wife from the oral tradition, Uncle Tom Richardson
came up with the phrase or name, "Nun-No."  That does not equate to any
known name and it could have been an answer to the question: "Who was
Billy Whitfield's wife?" and the simple answer, "None Know."  No names
of Betsey Whitfield's siblings have been recovered.  So we simply do not
know how we connect to themthar other Whitfields.
    We do know that our earliest Hartley ancestor was also from the Pee
Dee River.  He was Francis Marion "Frank" Hartley.  Grandma Nancy and
her Moulder half-brothers was absolutely sure he was of Huguenot
ancestry, and she and they had the ancestral story of his ancestor
running out the back door of his home in France while the French
soldiers of Looee Quartorze broke down the front door.  This ancestor
kept running until he got to SC, back-packed trade goods to the Indians
on the Western frontier, and was successful.  In my own research, I
could not identify Hartley as a Huguenot name, so it was probable that
the Huguenot ancestor had some other surname.  The Huguenots were strong
on reading and writing, and Frank Hartley had these skills when most
others did not.
    In Uncle Tom Richardson's quest for Frank Hartley's parents on the
1790 census, he thought that the most likely household was that of Sibby
Hartley, a widow with two sons, who lived across the Pee Dee River from
Billy Whitfield.  We have not been able to identify her husband.  By
family tradition, Frank had a brother Charles Hartley who died in West
Florida (now eastern Louisiana).  If we could find a marriage record in
SC of a "Sibbee" or "Sibby" ?Somebody? to a Hartley, about the time of
the Rev War, we might have some answers.
    It seems Frank Hartley married Betsey Whitfield in Warren County,
MS, and then lived there several years before moving to Mason Ridge near
the Ouachita River in Louisiana.  By 1836 he was back in MS into Simpson
County where Billy Whitfield lived.  By 1850 he lived in Smith County
near Sylvarena on Leaf River.  His daughter Sarah "Sally" Hartley
(1822-1886) married Sam Bowen when she was about fifteen years old, and
had five children before he died..
    The third Pee Dee River ancestor was Samuel "Sam" Bowen (1795-c
1846).  He told his wife he was born in NC but grew up between the
Little Pee Dee and Big Pee Dee Rivers in SC (possibly Marion County),
that his father was Abraham Bowen who had nine children.  His mother, he
said, was Kizziah Brown.  It is family tradition that Sam Bowen
backpacked his way to Simpson County from wherever he lived by 1835.
He hired out to a Mr. Freeman as a teamster and made trips as far away
as Vicksburg and Mobile.  He moved later into Smith County and was
buried in Old White Oak Cemetery.
It is entirely possible that Sam Bowen had a family before he married
Sallie Hartley in 1837, and there is a bible record of birth of one
David Bowen before he married Sally.  It is also possible that the
Whitfields, Hartleys, and Bowens knew each other, or about the other
families, before they met up again in MS.  Or it may have been a matter
of common accents and traditions that drew them together.
    It is intriguing to suggest that Billy Whitfield and ??? Hartley
were member's of Francis Marion's "Swamp Foxes," a famous band of
guerrilla fighters in the Pee Dee River swamps during the Rev. War.
Abraham Bowen was too far north in NC to be in that group.  I have seen
claims by people who say their ancestors fought under Francis Marion,
but they are almost certainly not documented.  General Francis Marion
kept no rosters, paid no soldiers, and never disclosed his objective for
a raid.  In the layers of command, you get down to the Corporal or
Sargeant who led the squad.  He knew all his men and he gave them a
rendevous point.  When they got there, they got the next level and next
rendevous point.  When you got to the last point, General Marion led the
troops to the objective.  So all one can say is that General Francis
Marion operated in the Pee Dee River swamps.  The Whitfields and
Hartleys lived in the swamps.  General Marion's men lived in the
swamps.  Those who were not part of his operation knew nothing
whatsoever about them.