[Granville-Hough] 17 Nov 2009 - Mize, at Threescore and Ten, Part 3

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Fri Nov 17 05:18:39 PST 2017

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 07:57:18 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Mize, at Threescore and Ten, Part 3, 17 Nov 2009

The Exodus.
(continued)
    The simplest explanation for population decline in a town such as
Mize is that people have some reason for moving away. Such movement from
Mize was precipitated by a general change in the economy of the country
as a whole from agricultural to urban. In short, it became tougher to
make a living in Mize for even the best talents or the strongest back.
Therefore, many people at Mize simply followed the economy elsewhere.
Most have been successful in their endeavors, whether in the trades, in
industry, the professions, or the arts. In short, Mize was as good a
cradle as any for their talents and strengths.
    Surprisingly, many are unwilling to put memories of Mize behind them
forever. Every year, there is a reunion at the Mize high school and
people come
back to attend it and see their friends of long ago.  There are family
reunions, to which people come from the far corners of our country. They
visit the churchyards where their ancestors and other kin lie buried.
They eat some of the foods they had long forgotten, and find them even
better than before. Some even want to be returned for burial in those
well-kept graveyards near remembered relatives who once shared their lives.
    If you discount the changes in automobiles from Model T  to Japanese
makes, air conditioning, the TV dish antennas and other electronic
incursions, the decline in numbers of places of business, dilution of
the local population with persons who came from elsewhere, absence of
truckloads and wagonloads of cotton and other farm products and the
neatly plowed and hoed fields where they were once produced, the
dominance of polyester and plastics over cotton and wool and metal, the
change of yards and lawns from clean-swept to grassy, the phenomenon of
seeing ladies in the local pool hall and, perhaps most saddening,
failure to recognize  a once familiar face because of what the years
have done to it, Mize hasn't changed much in five decades or so.  If you
look long and searchingly a few signs of the old days begin to emerge.
You have to look past the facade, use your imagination a bit, but
haven't you been doing that all along?  If you feel you need to lay eyes
once more on a genuine mule, you can go to the state fairgrounds in
Jackson, where mule lovers festivals are held featuring these animals,
living collectors' items, all dolled up to look the way you expected.
    Last of all, I want to talk a bit about my relations, my kin. I've
been making my way in the world for a good many years, and I've grown
accustomed to encountering and coping with many kinds of people, and
learning what I can from them and giving them whatever I have to offer
in return.  But they have one great shortcoming: they're not kinfolks.
    Growing up in Mize spoiled me from birth.  Did one crave
companionship in Mize, there were dozens of cousins, older, younger, the
same age.  After a day of visiting and playing with your kin at your
aunt's and uncle's, if you didn't want to bother coming home to supper,
you stayed overnight, and your aunt found a place for you to sleep.
Your uncle was like having another father.  Your cousins were like
brothers and sisters without the usual sibling rivalry.  Sometimes your
aunt had new things to eat that you hadn't tried.  There were plenty of
second cousins if you found yourself spending too much time with your
firsts.  Among cousins there were no family secrets to  keep.  Everybody
knew everything about you, good or bad. In a place like Mize,
practically everybody who lived there was related to you in some degree
if you went back far enough. Relatives set great store by each other, no
matter how slim the connection. Living at Mize when  I was small was
like living in a whole community of baby sitters. Everybody was
interested in your well-being, protected you from harm, and made excuses
for you if you didn't quite measure up to scratch. Baby sitters in Mize
were unknown.  Parents who needed to park their children somewhere for a
few hours or a few days left them with close relatives, who treated them
as their own.
    When I get together with relatives today, too infrequently, it's as
if I never left home. There are an endless number of interests, what has
happened to each other over the years, and it's difficult to break away,
for you know you may not see some again.  You don't need to put on any
airs , because your kinfolks know you as well as and sometimes better
than you know yourself.
    My biggest problem at recent gatherings of my cousins is that some
of those who are closest kin haven't received, or refuse to acknowledge
or act on the warnings about what smoking does to  health.  I find that
I can no longer stay in the same room with a cloud of cigarette smoke,
no matter how close kin the smoker, and I wonder if the anti-social
aspects of smoking shouldn't be given as much attention as the health
problems.  Most of us, I think, may regret the mental and chemical
addiction and the various griefs that have ensued from that long ago
cigarette, or that rabbit tobacco sneaked out behind the barn.  #11.  It
was nearly 20 years ago that I reluctantly gave up my favorite cigars to
get rid of a rattle in my chest, then decided to stop altogether.
Sometimes when I have trouble concentrating, I remember how easy it was
to collect my thoughts in those days behind a wreath of blue cigar
smoke.  Montezuma indeed has his revenge.
    Finally, I want to thank my cousins Walter B. Butler and his sister
Sue Schiro for putting this book together.  I'm happy to accommodate his
request for some of my thoughts and I'm grateful to him for getting the
book into production.  I just got wind of this book project  yesterday
(26 May 1991) and sat right down and started grinding out copy.  If my
thoughts sound half-baked, I guess they are, but I feel confident  that
those who read these lines will continue to have a spot for me in their
affections as I continue to have one for them.  XXXX

GWH notes:
    #11  Just what is rabbit tobacco?  It did not look like tobacco or
smell like it.  It had no redeeming feature, except it was not as
dangerous to small boys as real tobacco.  My dictionary says it is
balsamweed, but the weed I smoked I would not have recognized by that name.

    GWH:  Before leaving the town of Mize, I want to acknowledge that
Martha Miller corrected some mistakes I made on the family of Ancie
Johnson.  Her message follows:

Dear Granville and Harold,

Somehow I missed Granville's story that mentioned Ancie Johnson but I
did receive this one.  I never knew Ancie but I knew of him so I will
add some additional information.

Ancie was the son of Frank E. Johnson and Mary L. Austin Johnson,
according to the Smith County Cemetery book and the 1920 census record
of Smith County.  The census record listed the family in Beat 1, Twp 3
and the children were sons Ancey A. Johnson, age 9, and A. D. Johnson,
age 3.

As Harold said, Ancie and his wife, Vera Ruth Ainsworth, are buried in
the Mize Cemetery.  Smith County Marriage records show that Ancie and
Vera were married on 19 Sept 1935.  BUT, Ancie was first married on 30
April 1927 to Ruby Lee Mayfield.  F. E. Johnson gave permission for the
marriage.  Ruby was my 1st cousin, the daughter of George W. Mayfield
and Sarah Ann Floyd Mayfield (my father's oldest sister).  Ruby and
Ancie were divorced and I never remember meeting him but they did have a
son and a daughter, both who died very young.  The children are buried
at the Fairmount-Waco Cemetery next to their grandparents, Frank E. and
Mary L. Johnson. I don't know the date of Ruby and Ancie's divorce.

I checked the cemetery records and found A. D. Johnson (1917-1992) is
buried at Fellowship Cemetery with his wife, Lettie Pearl Hancock
(1915-1989).

I hope both of you are doing well.

Martha Miller