[Granville-Hough] 16 Nov 2009 - Mize, at Threescore and Ten, Part 2

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Thu Nov 16 06:14:10 PST 2017

Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 07:31:54 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Mize, at Threescore and Ten, Part 2, 16 Nov 2009

The Best Times, Part 2

(continued)
    The Gulf and Ship Island Railroad -- later bought by the Illinois
Central RR -- routed through Mize about 1900  and took full advantage
of the Hopkins family's offer of free land for a station and other
inducements for bringing the railroad through the community.  The
railroad put Mize on the map, so to speak, and enabled my grandfather
James McDonell Hopkins and some of his brothers and sisters to lay out
the village of Hopkinsville and sell lots for houses and stores.  A free
lot was donated for a school.  Even when Mize reached its peak
population of about 500, and boasted a dozen or so stores. a hotel, and
other places of business, some of the streets my ancestors laid out were
never used.  You could see those vacant lanes, fenced off and running
through pastures, and so on. Adults would refer to these unused grassy
or treed areas as "the street."  This made me snicker a bit  because I
was a kid that knew the difference between a street and a place to dig
earthworms for fishing.
    The town's name was changed to Mize early in the century. The
railroad brought goods and passengers to Mize and the communities
beyond.   In the 1930s, other Mize teen-agers and I earned pin  money by
helping load railcars with local watermelons. I handled so many
watermelons, I was able to guess -- within a pound or two -- the weight
of a watermelon weighing 20 to 80 pounds.  It saved the shipper money to
guess, correctly, which weight class a watermelon fell into without
stopping to weigh it when it was thrown off a truck or wagon to you in
the railcar doorway.  Upon hefting it,  you would sing out the weight
and the marker would total it up. The farmer selling his produce had a
right to have the melon put on the scales if he doubted the teen-ager's
word as to weight. You  had to be good to keep your job.  A melon was
thrown instead of handed to you, and you had to catch it without letting
it drop.  You also  had to be alert and ready when a melon was tossed.
Even a small one could knock you out of breath if it  hit you in the
stomach unexpectedly, and a big one could nearly knock you down.  A
sneaky pitch could take the wind out of a teen-ager who got too
confident about his job. #6.
    There were some watermelon mutants call citrons that grew on the same
vines as the watermelons, but were doomed never to ripen in this life.
It wasn't too difficult after a little experience to recognize these
mutants by sight,  and it was a kind of a joke -- that startled either
the farmer who offered it as a good melon or anyone else present -- to
drop the melon, which would simply thud on the freight car floor, and
remain unbroken. You couldn't bust a citron even it you threw it at the
floor. I admit to the felonious thought of having wished I had a
truckload of citrons to sell to certain city slickers I've met who think
they know it all.
    Much of the farmland in the Mize area was what the economists call
marginal; that is, it would produce a crop, but not a heavy one.
Investment of time, labor, equipment, seed and fertilizer in marginal
farming is subject to diminishing  returns.  In the 1930s and 1940s it
became unprofitable to till such land.   #7.  These so-called one-horse
farms began disappearing from the economic picture at Mize and
elsewhere.  In parts of Smith and other counties, they have been
replaced by a depressing,  melancholy operation called broiler farming,
in which the land's owner is essentially in serfdom or peonage to large
feed companies, which provide the baby chickens, the feed, the
equipment, the medicine, and instructions to the farmer, whose main
contribution  is to  keep the chickens fed and watered.
      These chickens never touch ground from the day they're hatched
until they go into the frying pan.  I have disturbing thoughts about
this kind of chicken production when I remember chasing a chicken --
fattened from eating table scraps, corn, grass seeds, crickets,
grasshoppers, and worms -- around the yard for Sunday dinner. Now we
have an adult person doing a grasshopper's work for a fee based on the
company's estimates of its costs for hatching, for feed produced
hundreds of miles away, for the services of the trucking industry, and
for its own reasonable profit.  #8.
    Cattle farming has been found to be a reasonably successful economic
operation in much of our area of Mississippi. #9.  Soy beans have
replaced cotton on thousands of acres.  At Mize, there's still some
timbering, largely pulpwood, from fast growing trees often harvested as
saplings. some lucky farmers have a few oil wells.   Many farmers in
southern Mississippi do  not own rights to oil or other minerals that
may lie on their land.  In the 1890s and later the large timber
interests of the north and northwest parts of the country, having
depleted much of their timber reserves elsewhere, moved into southern
Mississippi.  They bought thousands and thousands of acres of pine and
hardwood forests at dirt cheap prices, and over a few decades stripped
Mississippi of its virgin stands of longleaf yellow pines.  After
scalping the land of these trees, they sold the land back to
Mississippians.  #10
    But under Mississippi law, the land title and the mineral rights to
it can be severed, so when these timber barons sold back the land, most
of them retained the mineral rights in perpetuity for themselves. Today
their heirs pay no taxes whatever for their ownership of such rights
until oil or other minerals are actually produced.  These heirs and the
oil interests that exploit these rights laid heavy siege to the state
legislature to make sure Mississippi didn't  follow Louisiana in
enacting legislation to prohibit the severance of mineral rights from
land titles.  So the heirs of the large timber interests continue to
enjoy these mineral rights and are  not obliged to provide any support
or responsibility for the schools, public facilities,  people, or the
governments of the communities involved.
    It is difficult to find land in south Mississippi  where mineral
rights have not been severed and snapped up long ago.  Even if you hold
title to the land, you can't purchase the mineral rights from the
owners, whose ownership is undivided, meaning that all the heirs or
their trustees would have to vote as a group on the sale of mineral
rights for a specific piece of property. And, as one trustee told me
once, "They aren't about to sell, because it's their gravy."  And they
have a lifetime mouthful of a silver spoon with which to eat it.  Would
I live in Mississippi and pay taxes to support the rights of these
drones?  I'd need to give it some serious thought.  (to be continued).

GWH Notes
    #6.  I was one of those on the trucks pitching the melons
    #7.  One of the major factors was the nature of our soil on the
hilly land.  It was sandy loam with about 5 inches of topsoil, each inch
requiring 1000 years to produce.  It eroded or gullied with the greatest
of ease.  One night about 1940 we had 7 inches of rain in 12 hours.  We
had just planted cotton and corn, and our land was all plowed.  We must
have lost a half-inch of topsoil that night.  No terrace can hold that
amount of water so fast.  We lost most of our cotton crop that year, and
the gullying damage was permanent.  Our fields were soon down to the
subsoil, which had no humus or inorganic matter and even more prone to
erosion.  Row cropping, where you exposed the soil, was a losing battle.
    #8.  My brothers Clifford and Dueward Hough were subsidiaries of
McCarty Enterprises, a Magee-based company run by the McCarty family.
They were our distant cousins, but I do not know of any advantage that
gave my brothers.
    #9  Cattle farming had its hazards, too.  My brother, Clifford
Hough, lost a herd to a lightning strike when they had gathered under a
lone tree in a thunderstorm.  My brother Dueward reasoned his cattle
would not get hoof and mouth disease as they had no contact with other
cattle.  He forgot about deer, birds, and other animals.  He lost a herd
to that disease.
    #10.  At the depth of the Depression, Eastman-Gardner was selling
land for $1.00 per acre, but few people had money to buy.  The price
gradually went up, of course, but the monetary resources of the farmers
were going down.  My anger and frustration about this situation caused
me to spend considerable time in Management courses talking about the
evils of absentee corporate ownership.  Students probably though I was
crazy, but I still get angry when I think about it..