[Granville-Hough] 2 Nov 2009 - Old Country Preacher

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Thu Nov 2 05:29:57 PDT 2017

In his last months, my father Granville Hough was not always able to get
his daily email out.   So I might have to search a bit for reruns to fill
in the gaps.

Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 08:43:52 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>

     /An old country preacher had a teenage son, and it was getting
     time the boy should give some thought to choosing a profession.
     Like many young Men his age, the boy didn't really know what he
     wanted to do, and he didn't seem too concerned about it.  One day,
     while the boy was away at school, his father decided to try an
     experiment. He went into the boy's room and placed on his study
     table four objects./

     /1. A Bible.....?/

     /2. A //silver dollar/....//

     /3. A bottle of whisky.....?/

     /4. And a //Playboy magazine/.....?//

     /I'll just hide behind the door,' the old preacher said to
     himself. 'When he comes home from school today, I'll see which
     object he picks up./

     /If it's the Bible, he's going to be a preacher like me, and what
     a Blessing that would be!/

     /If he picks up the dollar, he's going to be a business man, and
     that would be okay, too./

     /But if he picks up the bottle, he's going to be a no-good drunken
     bum, and Lord, what a shame that would be./

     /And worst of all if he picks up that magazine he's going to be
     a/ Skirt-chasing womanizer.'//

     /The old man waited anxiously, and soon heard his son's foot-steps
     as he entered the house whistling and headed for his room./

     /The boy tossed his books on the bed, and as he turned to leave
     the room he spotted the objects on the table../

     /With curiosity in his eye, he walked over to inspect
     them. Finally, he picked up the Bible and placed it under his
     arm. He picked up the silver dollar and dropped into his pocket.
     He uncorked the bottle and took a big drink, while he admired this
     month's centerfold./

     /
     /'/Lord have mercy/,' the old preacher disgustedly whispered.  //

     /'He's gonna run for Congress.'/