[Granville-Hough] 1 Nov 2009 - Communion

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Wed Nov 1 05:25:49 PDT 2017

Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 06:57:12 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Communion (30 Jul 2004) - 1 Nov 2009

     I gave communion today (30 Jul 2004)to the Alzheimer's patients who
come to Bible
Study.  It worked out OK for all except three who could not understand
what to do.  But we went along and got through it.  Tennessee Ernie Ford
helped greatly with his rendition of "How Great Thou Art," on my new
CDRom.  I first planned to use the Episcopal Prayer Book service but
found it very hard to read and understand.   Second, it does not give
credit to the 1000 year old story (in Jesus' time) of Passover and the
Feast of the Unleavened Bread.  I marked all the bible passages in my
large print bible, but I did not use that either.  I just told the story
in my own words, and felt much better about it.  I could minimize the
betrayal activities of Judas Iscariot and concentrate on the remembrance
aspects of the reenactment.  I was also able to note that Passover
marked the freedom from slavery for the Israelites.
	I do not believe pastors emphasize enough that Communion commemorates
that Jesus was remembering freedom from physical slavery.  		I also
think about freedom from the harsh Jewish laws of Leviticus.  You do not
have to be circumcised to be a Christian.  You don't have to follow
strict dietary laws.  It isn't what goes into your mouth which is
sinful, but what comes out of it in words of hate, lies, malice, and
profanity.  What can we say about other parts of Leviticus?  I have come
to distrust anyone who bases their opinions or actions on what is said
in Leviticus, as in homosexuality, slavery, stoning, and other practices
of the times when Leviticus was written.
     For Kendrick's benefit, I have become an actor in my old age.
     With love to all.  Grampa.

OH LORD MY GOD; WHEN I IN AWESOME WONDER
CONSIDER ALL THE WORLDS THY HANDS HAVE MADE,
I SEE THE STARS, I HEAR THE ROLLING THUNDER,
THY POWER THROUGHOUT THE UNIVERSE DISPLAYED.

THEN SINGS MY SOUL, MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE;
HOW GREAT THOU ART, HOW GREAT THOU ART;
THEN SINGS MY SOUL, MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE;
HOW GREAT THOUR ART, HOW GREAT THOU ART!