[Granville-Hough] 12 May 2009 - Lumber Camps

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Fri May 12 06:31:52 PDT 2017

I will be away from the internet for a week, and will resume and catch
up next week - David Hough

Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 07:49:40 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: LumberCamps  12 May 2009

THE SOUTHERN LUMBER CAMPS

(Reference: pp 340-345, Granville W. Hough, Tales of Our People,
self-published, (out of print), 1989, revised 2005.)
Situated on the northern edge of the longleaf pine belt, Smith County
played a continuing role in harvesting the Piney Woods resources. If you
read today the county histories prepared in the 1880-1900 time period,
you will be amazed by the constant refrain of unexploited wealth in the
standing timber of the lower South.
Turpentining developed in the 1700Æs in South and North Carolina coastal
areas and spread throughout the longleaf pine belt into Louisiana and
Texas. Turpentining became a traditional industry in some families for
generations and provided part-time work for others. It continued for 250
years. In turpentining, you cut a V mark on one side of the longleaf
pine and fastened a collecting cup to collect the turpentine sap which
flowed out. The sap hardened in the cup and could be dumped into larger
containers. When the sap ceased to flow from the tree you made another
mark adjacent to the previous one. To make it profitable, companies
would set aside a nice grove of about a square mile as a ôturpentine
farm.ö I remember one such farm being called the Pleasant Hill farm as
it was near a church of that name which still exists. The resin of the
longleaf pine was so valuable that during and after WWII a follow-on
industry developed called ôstumping.ö Using power machinery, the stumps
of longleaf pine were pulled from the ground and taken to processing
mills where they were crushed and the resin chemically extracted.
Another industry was finding and cutting ship masts from the tall,
limb-free, and durable longleaf pine. This work was done in areas near
large rivers where the masts could be floated to coastal markets. Of
course, these masts were fitted for sailing ships. Writers of the
pre-1900 period considered both these industries as marginal, but they
looked forward to the days of wealth when railroads and markets were
developed to use the millions of acres of longleaf pine.
Laurel was one focal point for the developing lumbering industry, and
Eastman-Gardner was the big name in parts of Smith County known to me,
Granville Hough. The Laurel Branch railroad from Saratoga to Mize and
Taylorsville was built to move logs and lumber. In fact, much of the
rail system in Southern Mississippi was focused on harvesting the
timber. Residents of Mize, when I started to grade school there, could
ride the Cohay spur, leading to the Eastman-Gardner lumber camp at
Cohay. By the time I completed grade school in 1937, the camp was gone
and the spur was gone, leaving only the rail bed. So when Cohay Camp
died in the 1930Æs it was the last remnant of the 1890-1900 splurge into
timbering. Cohay is still on maps of Smith County, and I suppose it
helps historians identify an area they are reading about. There is no
there, there, when you are on the site.
The Laurel Branch enabled the lumber companies to run spur lines to the
north to the extent of the longleaf pine belt. Why did not the County
Seat at Raleigh get a railroad? The lumber companies were focused on a
quick harvest and move and paid no attention to existing towns they
could not use. They took their towns with them. Sometimes the timber was
sawed at the railhead into rough sizes, but later, the logs were moved
into the big processing centers at Laurel, DÆlo, or Hattiesburg. (The
name DÆlo may strike one as curious. When it was established on a river
bottom, I believe Strong River, the name Low was proposed. When someone
pointed out on a map that there was already a place named Low on the
Laurel branch, the namers decided to call the new place ôDamn Low,ö or
DÆLo. This story stuck in my mind because I was born a half-mile north
of the original Low on Laurel Branch.)
The Cohay lumber camp was best known to me because of my relatives who
joined in the lumbering and who lived in the camp. There were Sullivans,
Bowens, Dews, and other descendants of Lod Sullivan who lived in or near
the camps. Other Sullivans in Raleigh actually worked to buy the
timberland from people who homesteaded it. Cohay was laid out like a
regular town, with a main street, company store or commissary, stable,
and railhead. The railhead was town center because it was the departure
and return point for the workers each day. The homes were converted rail
box cars, placed side by side, or end to end, or in L or T arrangements.
They would remind one of a mobile-home park of today. I read in a camp
history writeup that the Methodist Church had a mission in the camp, but
I never saw it. I also never saw a school. As I grew up after school
buses moved children to school, the Cohay Camp children were probably
bused to Raleigh.
I do recall hearing about the fire which burned the big barn for the
mules. Mules were used for skidding logs in some places and on the
turpentine farms. I do not know how many mules were in the barn when it
caught fire, but someone was able to open the stable doors and get the
mules all out into the corner of the lot away from the burning barn. The
mules were terribly frightened by the fire and noise and ran back into
the barn, each into its own stable, where they burned to death. As a
child, someone had to explain over and over to me that the frightened
mules would instinctively go to the place of the greatest security they
knew, their own stable.
As the logging work moved further away from the camp, men would be gone
all week and only return on weekends. The sawyers, trimmers, loaders,
and skidders from Cohay were in the 1930Æs were cutting timber as far
away as Simpson County near the Jeff Davis County line, too far away to
return daily. On the weekends, the crews would return on the Laurel
Branch to Mize, then take the spur to Cohay. It seems to me that
Eastman-Gardner had rail-operated equipment and technology and went
under before it converted to trucks. It was about 1934/35 when I heard
John Herrin, a woods crew chief, tell my father, Lisha Hough. ôWeÆre
cutting into the last stand, and that will be the end.ö The last timber
to go was that on the turpentine farms. Lloyd Hough remembers jumping on
the end of logs being pulled by a skidder to the loader. He must cringe
when he recalls and realizes how dangerous that was. This was probably
clean-up logging at the turpentine farms, which were not too far from Cohay.
Life at Cohay was interesting to farm-oriented visitors. The people were
gregarious, liked to visit, and had no distractions such as cows to milk
and feed, crops to grow and harvest. Though the men were exhausted, they
were interested in athletics. I saw my first baseball game at Cohay.
Everybody took part, either as player or as spectator. Of course, the
price for this way of life was very high when the camp closed. Most who
had sufficient skill went to Laurel or to other lumber camps. Others
tried to re-learn farming.
One family which had no choice was the Will and Alma Evans family. Will
Evans had been the locomotive engineer, actually one of the higher paid
positions. He either died a natural death and was killed in some sort of
accident. Only the youngest child was male, about 12, named Eudell. The
older children were Dorothy and Sally, just older than I. Still older
children were Dick (divorced female), and Peck, who was married to a
lumberman and lived at Cohay. Alma Evans finally found a place she could
live with King Oliver Sullivan, where they struggled to learn farming.
Eudell learned a little about plowing, but he was really too small. The
next year, my father, through some sense of compassion, made a
share-cropping agreement with Alma; with my father agreeing to teach the
family more about farming. This was more than he was really capable of
doing, but we all tried to help. Dick learned to milk cows and do garden
work, Eudell learned to plow, and the girls and Alma learned to hoe,
pick cotton, etc. What was natural to us was hardship to them. They
looked back on Cohay as a paradise on earth. Eudell loved to imitate the
sounds he had heard his father make with the locomotive whistle as he
came within a mile or two of Cohay. The short, happy blasts indicated
all was well. The long, moaning whistle meant someone else had been
killed at work. When that sound was heard, the whole camp would come
running to the railhead to see who had been the victim. It is also my
impression that, when someone was killed, work stopped for the day and
the train immediately returned to Cohay. So the sound of a locomotive
early in the day was alarming, as it usually meant disaster.
I believe the next year, the Evans family moved to the Whiteoak
Community, where Dorothy and Sally married Dukes men and really became
farm wives. Dick continued to work with us for a couple of years as
house help, though we had no money to pay her. We gave her peanuts by
the bushel, corn, molasses, and canned goods, and she probably came out
better by being paid in kind. We learned that much we shared with her
got to other members of the Evans family.
In efforts to continue the work they knew in the lumbering industry, a
few cousins went to the far Northwest and sent back pictures of the
unbelievably big trees they found there. One company thought it could
save lumbering in Mississippi and actually moved the huge logs from
Washington and Oregon by barge through the Panama Canal to Gulfport,
then by rail to the mills at DÆlo. This worked on paper, but the big
companies controlling rail and timber interests in the Northwest simply
cut their prices and forced the DÆLo operations to shut down.
I recall my cousin Bunyan Kennedy (1890-1931), brother to Nola (Kennedy)
Herran of Cohay. Bunyan served in WWI, then, as the timber industry
faded in Smith County, moved on to northern Florida where the longleaf
pine stands were still productive, with about half the yield of Smith
County acreage. There he happened to witness a timber crew fight in
which a man was killed. He was sympathetic to the killer because of the
bad character of the man killed. He refused to testify in court, and the
judge sentenced him for contempt of court. He still refused to testify,
so the judge sentenced him to serve a term in the Raiford, FL, state
penitentiary. There he contracted ôswamp feverö and died. When his body
was returned to Smith County for burial, the casket could not be opened
because of the unknown nature and contagiousness of the disease.
A few families bought the old camp site, probably 200 acres or so, and
farmed it including John and Nola (Kennedy) Herran, and sons of Albert
Russell, and others I did not know. The cutover land in the county sold
for some years at $1.00 per acre. Even so, the former camp people could
seldom buy. When oil was discovered under parts of Smith County, who
were the greatest benefactors? You guessed it, the absentee owners of
Eastman-Gardner Company cutover land. This fact enrages anyone who knows
the struggles of the people who made that company rich.
The Camps, as Cohay was called, was in its third location for the
remnant of people left in 1935. It was a few miles southwest of Raleigh,
barely accessible by road. Prior to that time, it had been perhaps five
miles south in the Little Hatchapaloo swamp. In my youth, I visited that
site; and I well recall the lonely telephone poles, open field, and
ghost-town appearance of the place. It was not too far from the Ace
Johnson bridge over Cohay Creek. It may have been the place where Great
Grandpa Sampson Arender while riding a mule got caught by the neck with
a sagging telephone line and was almost strangled to death. I remember
hearing there was a still earlier site, which I learned from a
historical article had been at Wisner, a railroad siding between Mize
and Taylorsville.
As the Eastman-Gardner company had worked only with rail technology
since about 1900, there were old rail spurs throughout the wooded areas.
I knew one of these areas as the ôBig Woodsö between Highway 28 and the
Mize-Shady Grove Road. It occupied about five square miles where no one
lived. When this area was newly cut over, there were several years of
good sheep ranching. I believe I can remember the sheep and the salt log
for the sheep. My father and sons of Rufus Yelverton had sheep which
wanted to graze and Will Lack had sons and dogs who wanted to hunt (and
kill sheep.) My father was a good marksman and had a grudge against
sheep-killing dogs. The families, though neighbors, were never close
after that period. Later, when the Big Woods grew over with scrub and
second-growth timber, it was fenced for cattle. When looking for cattle,
you came across the old railroad lines which carried out the timber, and
it clearly pointed to the second Eastman-Gardner camp. By 1940, second
growth timber could be cut, and the Big Woods was a good hunting area.
Several large areas of Smith County never really developed when the
timber was removed. I understand one area was used as a bombing range
during and after WWII. Another became a wildlife refuge. Still larger
areas, including abandoned communities, became part of the Beinville
National Forest. Many old roads were discontinued and bridges never
rebuilt when they fell in the creeks. Unlike the Evans family and a few
others who left the farm to spend their lives in lumbering, few could
readjust back to the new methods of subsistence farming, which was low
pay, high risk at best. They were used to steady hours, steady pay,
store-bought food, and close neighbors. When WWII offered employment
opportunities in war industries, they left in droves. Between 1940 and
1950, over half the people left the county. This was a far cry from the
wealth anticipated by the writers of the 1880Æs, who thought harvesting
the timber would bring continued prosperity.