[Granville-Hough] 12 Feb 2009 - pixelated nipples

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Sun Feb 12 06:00:20 PST 2017

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:28:31 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Re: pixelated nipples, 12 Feb 2009.

        All in one week I read about "pixelated nipples," and sexual
orientation of characters on children's programs.  As my
daughter-in-law, Brenda Hough, was teaching 5th graders, I felt sure she
  would be up to date on those tricky terms and concepts.  If not, the
children would soon teach her.  Here were her answers.

 "Pixelated" is the fuzzy computer coverup of unmentionable parts.
 Pixels end up looking like little fuzzy squares. When you enlarge some
 digital pictures, they turn into fuzzy squares. I suppose TV will now be
 on a delay basis so the censors can pixellate images much like the audio
 "bleeps" on the "bad words."  It's a new verb to me though, maybe it's
 related to pixies who are also suspect characters.

   Tinky Winky's orientation has been discussed a lot. He is purple and
 carries a red purse. Here's the description from the side of the
 Teletubby box "Tinky Winky is the biggest Teletubby.  He is gentle, kind
 and loves to fall over.  Tinky Winky loves 'big hugs' best of all."  I
 had never heard of Tinky Winky until he became controversial and then I
 had to buy the little toy at the flea market.  My friend Mary's
 grandaughter Tess who was 2 at the time liked Tinky Winky best of all so
 maybe there was a subliminal message somewhere.

 I didn't hear anything about Sponge Bob, but Bert and Ernie from Sesame
 Street are mentioned as questionable.  Of course, having a male and
 female living together without benefit of marriage on Sesame Street
 would be unheard of.