[Granville-Hough] 23 Dec 2009 - Southwest trip report from Carol Linger from 1999

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Sat Dec 23 05:02:04 PST 2017

Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 08:40:05 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: trip report from my niece Carol Linger (1999) - 23 Dec 2009

For those planning a sight-seeing trip to the Southwest, here is a
first-hand account of places to go from my niece Carol (Hough) Linger:

       We had a wonderful trip.  We first went to the Petrified Forest and
Painted Desert, and the meteor crater along that same road leading to
Flagstaff.  At Grand Canyon, we hiked the west rim trail for about 8 miles
and took the shuttle to the end.  We also took your advice and hiked the
Kaibab trail down to Cedar Ridge and back as a day trip.  We could've gone
further down, but had other things on our agenda for the afternoon, and
just
did it as a morning hike.  The weather was great and it was not crowded.  I
can imagine that later in the summer it could get very congested.  We
camped
there on the grounds and that was very convenient with the shuttles they
have.  From there we went to Zion and really liked its diversity.  We
did all
the shorter  hikes, hiked to all the Emerald pools,  and then did Hidden
Canyon on the last day.  I made it all the way to the second chain (with my
fear of heights), but drew the line at the point of the sheer rock face
with
the 2000 ft dropoff.  Russ went on the few hundred yards to complete the
hike
without me.  I could've made a point to conquer my fears at that point, but
just didn't feel inclined to do it with the 98 degree temps.  I did really
well throughout the whole trip on the trails with dropoffs, I think if
it had
been a little wider space on that rock, I would have done it.
       From there we went to Bryce Canyon, Moab area (Arches and
Canyonlands),
and then on to Mesa Verde.  We hiked so many trails in Arches and Mesa
Verde,
but only 2 in Bryce.  Canyonlands was only a 3 hour drive through and and
that's all the time we had.  We did do the Canyonlands by night cruise
on the
Colorado and that was really nice.
       The weather cooperated except in the afternoons in the Moab
area......severe thunderstorms.  We camped in Dead Horse Point State
Park up
on top of the mesa with the canyons below and a sheer wind caught the
canopy
on our camper and pulled the stakes up and bent the poles double.  We
were in
the Arches at the time experiencing the same storm in our car.
Thankfully we
didn't have any canvas or vinyl punctures by the poles being flung around.
We were very lucky to have no more damage than we did.
        We really enjoyed the trip, but 2 wks. is a long time to be
gone.  We
were also glad to get back to the green grass and trees!!  Our daughter,
Lisa, and her family are arriving tonight for the weekend.  Hopefully, Mark
and his wife can come over for a day while they're here.
        Thanks again for your advice on the hikes.
  Love, Carol and Russ

Note for cousin John Hough: Our Samuel Hough seems to have been over 65
in 1820.  I do not know how I arrived at that figure except from the
census of Wayne County.  Anyway, he was an adult in GA by 1773, and
Francis was born, I believe, in 1775.  Let's suppose Samuel was a
runaway at age 18.  He would have been born in 1752.  Samuel, son of
John and Elizabeth (Taylor) Hough was born in 1739, from Quaker records.
  That would mean he sired our Samuel at age 14.  Possible, but not
probable.  The Quakers were tolerant, but not to that extent.
	I learned a few years back that there was an uprising in North Carolina
on the frontier called the Regulators.  The uprising was put down and
the leader and many followers fled to GA about 1773, when Samuel shows
up on the Shoulderbone (area) among names which had been in NC.  I now
must consider that he was a part of that uprising, but I have not been
able to investigate that possibility.
	Possibly Barbara has some insights on that period of NC history.
Granville.