[Granville-Hough] 22 Dec 2009 - Louisiana Trip on website

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Fri Dec 22 06:20:44 PST 2017

Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:05:37 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Louisiana Trip on website - 22 Dec 2009

Aug 25, 2009

Granville,

I have put my Louisiana trip on my website.  Take a look   alandmary.org

The link to the trip description is near the top labeled NEW  "Richmond
Nollis Hough in Louisiana".

Thanks for your assistance in the matter.  I would not have known where
to go without your help.

I may collect some more information on the Hands and Houghs in Clark
Co., MS, and in Calif.  If I do, I will pass copies on to you.

Regards,

Al Spinks
As some of you know, I cataloged all the Hough and Huff families of the
U. S. through 1920, so I get all sorts of requests for help.  This year
in August, I got a request from Al Spinks who was looking for my great,
great uncle, Richmond Nollis Hough, who had been a legislator from
Jasper and Clark counties of MS at the time the vote was taken to join
the Confederacy.  I believe I saw a record that he voted against it, but
I cannot say that for sure.  He had a post-office at his plantation in
Jasper County, named Hough.  He had married into the Everett family, and
his wife was recalled to be wealthy in land and slaves. Like others,
they were devastated by the war and moved to Louisiana for at least one
year, where the wife died of malaria and the family made its way to
California via the Panama Canal.  He and his son-in-law bought land east
of Pittsburg, and there Richmond soon died.  Perry LeBlanc, the
son-in-law took over the family until all the children were reared.  He
was later a prominent citizen in the Central Valley of California.
(Some of the LeBlanc descendants have joined the LDS Church.)
    Al Spinks has a web site with his wife Mary, and it can be accessed
as alandmary.org.  Once on the site, read the entry on Richmond Nollis
Hough.  In these notes there is a reference to Letters, and you can
click on that to read the one by Sarah Ann Anders, older married sister
of Caroline Hough, wife of Richmond.  Please note there were 25 cases of
chills and fever, malaria, in the neighborhood.  Within months, she and
her sister Caroline died along with one or more children.  It is a
tragic story, but for those interested in post-Civil War conditions in
the South, it is history as seen by a participant.  So I suggest you go
to web site alandmary.org, read about Richmond Hough, then click on
letters in that story and read the letter by the visiting sister, Sarah
Ann.  Grampa