[Granville-Hough] 18 Dec 2009 - Washington Post article on the glider

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Mon Dec 18 05:44:33 PST 2017

Happy Birthday Granville!    95 years young in our hearts!

Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:54:54 -0800
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: Washington Post article today on the glider - 18 Dec 2009

This is the feature science story about the glider that Jerry went to
welcome in Spain. It (the story) ran today, Dec. 15, in the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/14/AR2009121402861.html

    The first newspaper story I remember was when I was 4 and 1/2 years
old.  It was on 22 or 23 May 1927, and it was the story of Charles A.
Lindberg, Jr, and the "Spirit of Saint Louis," and the epic flight
across the Atlantic Ocean.  It seems to me I can remember the headlines
and all the discussions of my older brothers and adults in the family.
I certainly remember two things which followed.  First was the fact that
planes frequently got lost in the clouds and came down low and followed
our railroad to the nearest towns.  We could see them quite well, even
the aviators moving about.  One plane ran out of fuel and crashed in
Cohay swamp just beyond Mize, about five miles away.  The two people in
it were severely injured.  The other event I remember was that every boy
in school demanded an aviator's cap, and most got one that Christmas..

    This was the first flight of a manned aircraft across the Atlantic
Ocean.  Little did I dream that 83 years later, I would read about the
first unmanned, underwater glider  crossing the  Atlantic; and that my
son-in-law, Dr. Jerry L. Miller, would be part of that project.  Jerry
is visiting me today on my 87th birthday, and I hope he will tell me all
about the project that he can without violating security.  I hope you
can read his statement for the Washington Post.  With my regards to
all.  Granville.