[Granville-Hough] 4 Aug 2009 - El-eesha

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Fri Aug 4 06:36:23 PDT 2017

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 09:36:02 -0700
From: Granville W Hough <gwhough at oakapple.net>
Subject: El-eesha -4 Aug 2009

     During church service today (in June 2004), the minister shared his
view
that the required selection (for neophyte ministers) left little to base
a sermon on, but I thought it was
a fine opportunity to expound on the land of Samaria, the Samaritans,
and their tragic history as non-Temple Jews, also to get into the work
of the prophets Elijah and Elisha.  (The reader pronounced Elisha as
El-eesha, which would have surely startled my father out of a sound
church sleep.)
     So after this week on the 23rd psalm, for which I have found no
musical rendition, next week the land of Samaria and the non-temple
Jews, and after that Elijah
and Elisha, and my personal recollections and observations of brothers
Elijah and Elisha Hough.  (I will mention their distant cousins Elijah
and Elisha Miller, who had moved on to settle in Louisiana.  I was never
able to establish our exact kinship with that Miller family, but its
given names were
so similar that they must have been fairly close. They had come from SC
  to Southwest MS, then moved briefly to Simpson County, then had gone
on to settle in LA.)
	Incidentally, when I got to West Point in July, 1943, I discovered one
of my TN classmates was named Elisha Miller Robinson.  He chose the
given name Miller over Elisha and was forever known as Miller Robinson.
  I suppose he was some sort of distant cousin.  We surely had similar
accents, but he was a much better story teller than I.