[Granville-Hough] 13 Oct 2009 - Accidents

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Fri Feb 4 06:16:46 PST 2011

SULLIVAN HOLLOW ACCIDENTAL DEATHS

It seems there were an unseemly number of deaths from automobile
accidents on the highways and byways of Sullivan’s Hollow. Probably this
was related to the tendency to overuse alcohol, and to drive while
drinking. I will mention a few of these which seem most unusual. Another
cause peculiar to our way of life was falling trees. Another was misuse
or careless use of firearms. Most anything could happen on a farm, and
they could be fatal. I will mention a few of the victims I know about.
Allen, perhaps Charles Ray. One of the Allen schoolmates of the younger
Hough brothers, was on the way home from Mount Olive after a shopping
trip, and the creeks were up. Allen was anxious to get home and sped
along through Okatomy swamp. Unknown to him, the bridge over the creek
was about to go. Either it was partially gone, or the weight of his
truck caused it to go, and Allen went into the raging torrent to his
death. I believe this was in the 1950 decade. (A similar accident
happened on our own little branch headwaters of Clear Creek about 1935.
The bridge was on the road in Jim Meadows land and there had been much
rain. A Mr. Kennedy was driving his wagon along the road and on crossing
the bridge, the mules panicked at the sight of the raging water and the
stronger one pushed the other over the bridge. This dragged the wagon
and Mr. Kennedy into the torrent. Mr. Kennedy got out, but the two mules
tangled in their harness and drowned.)
Nevell Emmett Byrd, son of Paul M. Byrd, accidentally smothered in bed
when two months old. (We did not know that this kind of accident
happened everywhere, among all peoples, and is now recognized as a
hazard for new babies. Don't put them to sleep on their tummies.)
William Thomas “Tommy” Byrd, son of Razz Byrd, was killed by a falling
tree in 1899.
Great uncle William Miller, oldest son of Hiram and Susannah (Cole)
Miller, neighbors of Pappy Tom Sullivan, was killed in 1855 by a burning
tree which fell on him while he was clearing land. His burial started
the Miller Cemetery.
Doug Mager, who md Cleta (Yelverton), great-granddaughter of Wild Bill
Sullivan, went to check on his cows while Cleta was fixing supper. He
was hit and killed by a car while crossing the road.
Mary Jane “Polly” (Owens), wife of Sam Knight, had an epileptic seizure
and fell into a molasses cane syrup evaporator and was scaulded to
death. She was daughter of Celia (Sullivan) and Henry Norris Owens.
Lacel Decel Sullivan, son of Lionell and Etha (McAlpin) Sullivan, was
seven years old, killed when he fell off a wagon driven by his
grandfather, Fred Sullivan, and was crushed by the wagon wheels. (A
similar accident happened to Roland Hough when he was about that age. He
was on the wagon and three brothers Donald, Clifford, and Granville
Hough, were pitching hay up onto the wagon. Roland moved the mules
forward over a terrace, but the terrace caused Roland to pitch overboard
into the furrow of the terrace. The wagon wheels passed over Roland’s
legs, but merely pressed him down into the soft furrow. The incident has
been a lifelong recurring nightmare for Granville, who was in charge.)
Lavelle Sullivan, son of Joseph Oscar Sullivan, was killed in 1941 when
a tree fell on him which he and his father were cutting for firewood.
(When Granville Hough and his younger brothers were felling trees for
firewood, they moved the youngest, Roland Hough, far back, as he seemed
accident-prone and always in the wrong place. When Roland became adult,
he would not cut trees but bought discarded slabs from local sawmills.)
Minnie (King) Sullivan, wife of Abb, was killed accidentally while Abb
was helping her with spring cleaning and, while moving a bed spring,
dislodged his loaded shotgun over the bed which fired and hit Minnie,
killing her instantly.
Shelby Sullivan, son of Oliver B. Sullivan, was putting gasoline into
his Model T car by lantern light in Aug 1931 when the gasoline ignited
and all Shelby’s clothes caught fire. He died of burns 12 hours later.
(It may help to recall that the Model T gasoline tank was under the
front seat and the measuring gage was about the size of a ruler which
you inserted into the tank to how much gasoline you had. It was a
constant hazard.) Rev. Dan Moulder prepared his obituary.

One of the facts one learned in working with black laborers is that they
would not do risky or hazardous work. It had been drilled into their
memory from slave times that accidental injuries were very serious for
black folks. There might be a doctor or help for a white victim, but
nothing at all for black one. So, avoidance of danger became part of
their culture.