[Granville-Hough] 12 Oct 2009 - Lost Thornton Boy 4

Trustees for Granville W. Hough gwhough-trust at oakapple.net
Wed Feb 2 06:04:32 PST 2011

  Lost Thornton boy (continuation).

Some definitive information comes from a McAlpin descendant, Martha
Miller. The Jasper W. Thornton gravestone in Harmony Cemetery shows
1881-1899, which indicates an 18-year old boy, or man, if one prefers.
The gravestone for W. J. McAlpin in the same cemetery shows 28 April
1876 – 24 Oct 1904, which indicates a 23 year old man at the time of the
tragedy. Another account of McAlpin’s death shows year 1903. (This
establishes definite times of the events.)
Martha’s recollection of the story is that McAlpin was leader of a gang
of young men who had lost confidence in Thornton. McAlpin and Thornton
were last seen leaving Harmony Church together, then McAlpin later came
back with the horse and gun which he claimed to have purchased, and he
told Thornton’s parents that Thornton had decided to go to Louisiana to
visit an uncle there. The body was later found, Bill was arrested, tried
in Jones County, and acquitted as noted above. (This places the event in
the Harmony Church Community, near Mize.)
Martha had heard both versions of the death of “Little Bill;” one, when
he got off the train, and the other on the streets of Mize. In the Mize
version, Bill and his friends had ridden into Mize on their horses one
afternoon, shooting their pistols and terrorizing the people all
afternoon. No one was hurt in this display, but as Little Bill rode home
north out of town, shots rang out from all sides; and “Little Bill” fell
dying. In the context of this story, the words, “Tell ‘em who shot me,”
makes sense. It meant tell his friends or fellow gang members. There was
only one block of houses going north out of Mize, but no one could ever
be identified who knew anything about the assailants.
Martha had never heard the story of the death bed confession in Chrystal
Springs. It comes back to me that I also heard that story from my older
brother, Dueward Hough; and he was pondering what validity there could
be in a death bed confession. His question was, “How could this fellow
have been there?” It did not fit the image we had in our minds of
McAlpin riding behind Thornton and shooting him in the back of the head.
However, it does fit into the concept of a gang killing as remembered by
Martha Miller. In year 2005, we can admit that tellers and retellers of
the story for over 100 years have embellished it with their own
imaginary or erroneous details. Nobody’s version is uplifting to the
human spirit.