[Granville-Hough] 16 Jan 2009 - B Squad Choir

Trustees and Executors for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Wed Apr 14 05:55:28 PDT 2010

I had a nice response on Carol's time in Chickasha, OK at OCW from
Deborah Hough, wife of Harrell Hough who figures in the story today.
Carol actually grew up in Henryetta, OK, and got to OCW in 1945. I met
her at OCW in Nov 1946 and we were married about 10 weeks later.

B-Squad Choir
When nephew Harrell Hough of San Antonio sent me a copy of West Point
Songs from an estate sale, I could not recall that I had ever seen a
copy. The flyleaf indicates this copy belonged to Cadet Woodward, P. B.
“H” Co. I can determine this was Paul B. Woodward, Class of 1942, and
the book was probably a required purchase when he entered the Academy in
July, 1938. The book was edited and published by Frederick Christian
Mayer, Organist and Choirmaster at USMA for many years, and this copy
was from the 6th edition of 1936. Gradually it dawned on me that I had
seen the book, had owned a copy, but I could not recall I ever used it.
It did bring back memories of my three years in the B-Squad Choir at the
Academy.
How did I get in the Choir? It came about in a most unusual way. When I
got to the Academy, I had never met a West Pointer, to my knowledge. The
first one I ever talked to was the one who swore me in as a Cadet. Then
I was turned over to the “Beast Detail” and I began to learn about the
life of a plebe. I had just completed Army basic infantry training, so I
excelled as long as we were marching in the field, doing rifle practice,
etc; but I knew nothing about the hazing, history, and lore of the
academy. I soon learned that everything we did was on an Academy wins,
You lose basis. As I and my 1200 classmates struggled along, there was
one day where we were lined up to go get tested for the Choir by Mr. Mayer.
Those who had been prepared for the Academy knew about the Corps Choir,
the trips it made, and the publicity the singers received. I knew
nothing of this, could not read a word of music, and had never had any
experience singing in choirs or anywhere else. For me, it was just a
waste of time, but I went along and just listened to comments of my
classmates. I decided I would give it my best “swearing at mules” voice
and enjoy an opportunity to let off some steam. Mr. Mayer had about 75
of us to test from my company and about one hour to do it. I could hear
what the fellows ahead were saying, and it was “Glory to God” on an
upscale, then “Glory to God” on a downscale, and usually that was all,
about thirty seconds worth. Mr. Mayer would say: “Thank you, next,
please.” When it came my turn, he played the notes and asked me to sing
the words, in tune with the notes. I did so, in a clear and resonant
voice even the dumbest mule could understand. Then we did the down
scale, which I did equally well. I thought that was the end, but he
surprised me and said: “Can you sing these notes?” and played a few
notes which I tried to follow. He shook his head and said: “Thank you,
you can join the B-Squad Choir.” My classmates congratulated me on
making the B-Squad Choir, including fellows who had years of musical
training but who did not make it.
I learned the B-Squad Choir got to sit in the choir loft each Sunday,
and there were some other privileges such as not having to march in
formation to chapel or from chapel. We got no trips, and we never
practiced. We just tried to sing along with Mr. Mayer at the organ. He
played with such gusto that you could not hear your own voice, so I just
did my best each Sunday. I even got interested in Mr. Mayer’s
performances and became one of the few cadets who attended his organ
recitals.
I think my contribution was that I was just a decoration for the choir
loft. I gave a good appearance and looked like I was really singing. So
I have good memories of Mr. Mayer and my experience in B-Squad Choir.

Roommate Van Baker's Comment:

I've been enjoying your letters to your family as well as the poems. The
article about trying out for the choir reminded me of my own
audition--which I flunked.