[Granville-Hough] 15 Jan 2009 - Carol Wins

Trustees and Executors for Granville W. Hough gwhough at oakapple.net
Tue Apr 13 06:13:30 PDT 2010

Granville says:
The poetry selections of the last four days were written
by my wife Carol when she was a Freshman at OCW and 18 years old. Before
she was 19, we would be married and off to a different life, looking
over hills and vales we never expected to see.

CAROL STECKELBERG WINS POETRY CONTEST AT OCW

Chickasha, May 9, (1946) (Special) –

In a recent creative writing contest which is sponsored twice each year
by Chi Delta Phi, nation English sorority chapter on the Oklahoma
College for Women campus, Miss Carol Steckelberg, daughter of Mrs. H. C.
Steckelberg, 309 N. 11th Street (Henryetta, OK) placed first in the
freshman poetry section. Her selections were entitled: “Spring Wind,”
“Oklahoma Clay,” “April Night,” and “August Drought.”

The winning selections in the contest were read at a tea in the home of
Dr. Caroline Laird, head of the English department recently, at which
Mrs. Panthea Freeman, national secretary of Chi Delta Phi, was a special
guest.

Miss Steckelberg has been elected vice president of the Young Women’s
Christian Association on the OCW campus for the coming school year.
Officers are to be installed in a special service to be held May 14 in
Austin Hall parlor.

CarolWins
Category: Carol

-Dear Harrell's Uncle Granville, This is Harrell's wife Deborah -I've
enjoyed reading your notes and noticed you wife grew up in Chickasha. My
mother was born in Bartlesville, had ties to Chickasha and later moved
to Tulsa. My grandfather Arthur Thomas Hingle had a lumber yard in
Tulsa. One of my great Aunts lived for many years in Chickasha. My
mother was Frances Hingle and one of her best childhood friends was
Dorothy Price Carnegie ( Dorothy Carnegie who was married to Dale
Carnegie (How to Win Friends and Influence People). I remember stories
my mother told of growing up in Oklahoma as my Grandmother was born on
the Pawhuskee Indian Reservation in Oklahoma on March 2, 1888. There
were many fond memories of Chickasha. My parents, aunt and uncle are all
gone now on this side of the family. My Aunt Hud died in May of 2008 and
spent many years doing geneology with her labor of love on our family
history. She wrote a small book called Blaze (for family members) that
depicted a family characteristic of bi colored eyes, a natural white
streak in dark hair and deafness all tied to Wardenberg syndrome. She
was a Biology teacher and would have enjoyed meeting you. I miss her
stories! Thanks for your notes. Deborah