[Gocamino] Pilgrim??

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 31 11:39:45 PDT 2013

From my very first walk to SdeC in 2000, at age 75, I hesitated to call myself a pilgrim. As a confirmed skeptic, I certainly could not regard it as any kind of homage to Saint James. My ancient Webster's does provide some justification for using the term. The Latin origin simply means foreigner. It gives three definitions. The 3rd refers to the early Plymouth colonists. The 2nd speaks of "one who travels to a shrine or holy place as a devotee." Obviously, based on what i wrote above, I do not fit into that category. Definition 1 is clear enough: "one who travels in foreign lands: WAYFARER (sic)." Well that certainly fits and would justify my use of it, but I still avoid referring to myself as one, especially on these forums, since so many members hold to the view of cwlowery, that only the 2nd definition applies.

As far as the term pilgrimage is concerned, the emphasis is on the holy shrine concept, but it is not exclusive: "voyage of a pilgrim; esp: one to a shrine or a sacred place." That does not rule out the 2nd definition of pilgrim, all the more reason for me to avoid referring to myself as one. (I still sort of wonder how the Plymouth colonists ever got labelled with the term. For most Americans, that is the first acquaintance with the word pilgrim and it is confusing when they first learn that it has a much broader - and very different - meaning.)

However I feel free to continue to contribute to these forums, since I often get positive responses from other members, including those who fit that 2nd definition.

The question might be asked, "why did I make such a trip in the first place and why do I continue to do so when I am obviously much too old to be making long air trips?" I certainly don't know the answer to that. It is probably something embarrassing like compulsive/obsessive disorder. Senile dementia perhaps?

Bob S.