[Gocamino] [Santiagobis] All the news and pilgrim numbers from Santiago

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 3 12:35:34 PDT 2013

One item in the stats really caught my eye. The camino francés now accounts for just 70% of the pilgrims receiving the compostela. Far down from the overwhelming 95% that I remember from a decade or so ago. At that time, many forum members  seemed to regard it as the only route, as if it had some sort of official designation. It is good that people are becoming aware that there are many roads to Santiago.

Another item of interest to me was the increase in the Portuguese route to about 15% and  2nd in popularity. A vast change from  2001, when I went from Lisboa to SdeC and didn't meet a single SdeC pilgrim until I arrived at the old section of the city itself. I did meet hundreds of pilgrims in Portugal, but they were all going in the other direction, south to Fátima.