[Gocamino] NYT article

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 21 15:27:45 PDT 2013

Interesting subject here. Especially since it brings up a great contrast between the author and the film makers. When I first read the initial post, I had forgotten that the author was Jack Hitt. Then Anna's post reminded me of it. Strange coincidence since the author and the director have close connections.

Emilio Estevez has publicly stated that his movie was based on Jack Hitt's book, "Off the Road." In addition to that, there was a fascinating dialogue on TV between Hitt and Estevez. They seemed to be quite good friends and were doing a lot of personal kidding. The one that sticks out in my mind was the exchange in which Emilio asks Jack if he was offended that Jack had been used as a model for Jack, the drunken Irish poet(sic) of the film. Jack Hitt responded to that with mock indignation and proudly proclaimed that he was Scottish.

Bob S.