[Gocamino] Communications Technology on Camino Now

John Hussey highwayfl at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 8 03:06:54 PST 2012

Everything has changed, communications wise, on the Camino now from when I did my first one in 2005.

Then few had phones, now almost everyone has them. I just finished the Camino Frances again and I believe i was the only one without one.

Most folk have smart phones.

There are NO more internet cafes for your email access. Some albergues still have the pay computers, though, 1 euro/20 minutes or so.

Free WI-Fi is available about everywhere. Even bars and restaurants advertise it's availability.

Public Pay phones are all but gone. A few albergues still had them, maybe some bars, too but that's it.