[Gocamino] Iberia Air Connections

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Tue Apr 3 12:51:12 PDT 2012

As it happens, I am presently in Seville and transferred  in Madrid from a  New York flight . While we had just over an hour to go from the international area to the domestic one we barely, just barely, made it, and then only because the passport check in, surprisingly, was not as crowded as usual. During the transfer besides passport control there is  re-x-raying of carry ons and what have you.. The new Barajas airport is very big and confusing: one has to take a train from the domestic to the international areas, or viceversa,  and go up and down, a few elevators. I should think that unless one speaks Spanish fluently and is capable of pinning down and asking airport employees passing by for directions the going from one area to the other would be very dicey since the signs are not at all clear  and all the ways to go look pretty much the same.
Personally, I have resolved to ask my travel agent, for my next trip to Spain outside of Madrid, to request at least one more hour leeway to make a transfer.  The five or six times in the past when I missed the connection I was put on the next plane (but then during Holy Week planes go from Madrid to Seville  every three hours or so during the daytime). The luggage rarely, if ever, arrives with me, but Iberia has never failed to deliver it later on directly to my hotel.
Perhaps you can put the question directly to Iberia (they have an 800 number) as to whether or not they´ll put you up if you miss the connection.
At any rate, Spain is gloriously worth whatever stress..... and then some.
Hugs!
Rosina

blaroli at aol.com