[Gocamino] why the way

David Hough on gocamino camino2003 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 15 17:35:13 PDT 2011

The recurrent question in The Way was "why are you here."    One of the
characters found what he was looking for, two did not find what they said
they were looking for, and the fourth found what he was not expecting.

That sounds about right.    In my case, I was hoping to receive the blessings
of the camino, without having any idea in advance what they might be.
Those who had specific expectations were often disappointed, it seemed.
What one needs is not necessarily what one wants.

In any case, the two lessons I drew from my camino were

1) ask for what you really need.    I still have trouble with that.

2) be thankful for what you really receive.    I'm usually pretty good about
that.

Just as one step is one part of the camino, the camino is just one step
in one's life journey.    I benefitted from the experience but I'm still
working on the same things as I was working on before... I just hope I'm
further along.