[Gocamino] Rosina

Johnnie Walker johnniewalker-santiago at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 2 10:36:36 PDT 2011

Splendid news Rosina. I'm glad it was the Wagner festivals which kept you busy and not illness.

All is well here in Santiago and both Mari and Susana have returned to work - the babies are both beautiful and doing very well indeed. They will all be glad to see you.

Things continue apace in the Pilgrims' Office with the cadre of staff employed for the last year leaving at the end of their contract and a new team coming into place on 1st October. Such are the vagaries of funding.

The new office and the system for receiving pilgrims has worked very well indeed and although some pilgrims lament the passing of the great staircase behind the old green door at Number 1 Rua do Vilar the beautiful courtyard just two doors down more than compensates. So too does the new office with waiting times down to only 20 mins or so at its height. Quite different from the hours pilgrims had to wait last year.

The courtyard houses toilets for pilgrims, a fountain, an overflow office for when times are busy and a very helpful left luggage where pilgrims can leave their luggage for only 1€ per day.

The new albergue started by the Charitable Foundation associated with the Pilgrims' Office which opened last year has proved to be immensely popular. It is just a few yards off of the Camino Frances and is it the best value in town. I wrote about it last year here:

http://johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com/2010/08/id-go-today.html

The new(ish) website at http://www.peregrinossantiago.es/ is under continuous development. Already there is quite a bit of information on it including a running total of the numbers of pilgrims received each day as well as a database of statistics. The coming months will see more information being added in a number of languages.

There is a huge festival and market in the city this weekend and of course everyone is limbering up for the national feast of Our Lady of Pilar, the national Patroness on 12 October. Another cause for celebration.

Best wishes to all.

John

www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com