[Gocamino] Ryan Air

Tim tim at errecaldia.com
Tue Oct 26 04:04:08 PDT 2010

Hi,
    This looks to me like a typical Ryan Air (Michael O'Leary)
negotiating ploy.  The route is a summer route and so when it's due to
shut down for the winter he announces that it is not profitable and that
unless the local government is prepared to stump up more subsidy he will
not reopen the route.  He has done this before, the subsides are in fact
illegal under EU law and on at least two occasions this ploy has
backfired badly on him when the EU has intervened and ruled the subsidy
illegal.  All we can do is watch this space although, I think, it is
significant that there is no mention by those who would normally be the
first to know at Stansted of any plans to remove the flight slots long
term only that they are not wanted for this winter.
Tim