[Gocamino] Crowds on the Camino

Tim tim at errecaldia.com
Fri Jun 25 05:05:28 PDT 2010

Hi All.
    While I can sympathise with Wilna's comments I feel that a note of
caution has to be injected here.  Pilgrims in days gone by were not
subject to the same time constraints as those of today.  I completely
understand and agree with the decision of a person who has taken four
weeks holiday to make his/her pilgrimage, struggled through a week of
torrential rain and or snow and, when faced with a forecast that the
next week is going to be the same, decides to not waste the rest of the
holiday but return to work.  In medieval times I suspect the pilgrims
merely stopped, they had no jobs to worry about and no time constraints
as such.  The other point worth bearing in mind is that extreme weather,
and the weather was certainly extreme in much of March April and May,
kills or can kill.  Hypothermia and exposure are not mild symptoms that
the strong willed can brush aside as the 'wimps' succumb, they can kill
the strong willed just as easily as the less determined.  In fact the
strong willed who think they are being brave and resolute can endanger
the lives of others.  This year there have been several occasions where
the rescue teams have had to brave zero visibility, and driving snow to
rescue those who should have waited or taken another road, at one point
23 people had to be helped down the mountain.
    I'm not attacking the determined pilgrim just pointing out the risks
of exposing oneself needlessly and the risks to others if you do.
Bon Chemin.
Tim