[Gocamino] Crowds on the Camino

Susan Alcorn backpack45 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 20:14:01 PDT 2010

Whether it is crowded on the Camino or not depends on where you are. Ralph and I just finished a portion (180 miles) of the Arles Route/Camino Aragones (GR653) from Oloron St. Marie, FR to Logrono, SP and there were some days that we were the only ones staying in the hostals/private facilities and saw no other pilgrims on the trails. We were hiking from June 3-19.
Once we linked up with the Camino Frances (at Obanos), we definitely met more, but we still had no difficulty finding a bed in the albergues.

Clearly it gets more crowded the closer one gets to Santiago, so if pilgrims wish to avoid crowds, they might do a portion of a route more distant from Santiago.
Buen Camino,
Susan and Ralph Alcorn
www.backpack45.com
Publishers of two award-winning books: Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago and We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers.