[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re: Camino movie with Martin Sheen

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Wed Jul 14 07:06:04 PDT 2010

The promises listed in the cited article are only those of the actual team players, of which there are only 23 in the "selection". The million or so who promised to walk the Camino if "La Furia Roja: won the Cup were the legions of their devoted fans all over the country, according to the ABC and El Tiempo.
Close friends of  mine in Sevilla who have always seemed politely uninterested  whenever I go on and on with them about the Camino (Sevillians tend to live, happily, in a world of their own, rarely extending beyond Andalucia) are now preparing to make the pilgrimage: mother, father, sister, brother-in-law, their combined four children and another couple who are close friends of theirs.
Even the guys, and their families, who own the Galician restaurant across the street from where I live are going to walk the Camino "in thanks". But they are Galician, after all, even if they live in New Jersey and work in New York City.
Let's hope that they all wait until next year.
Right now, the last part of the French Camino (Sarria to Santiago) is absolutely inundated and the city of Santiago itself is overcrowded, and then some.
Because of the three Pilgrim Masses daily, and all the groups the have ceremonies at the Cathedral and request to see the Botafumeiro, there is concern about its condition.  The mechanism has been brought down for a thorough review and examination of the rope and the Botafumeiro will not  soar for a few days.  Also, a new rope has been ordered.
This is puzzling; you will remember that a couple of years ago the rope had become frayed and had to be replaced, and that in doing so the Botafumeiro was inactive for weeks and weeks because all sorts of problems kept cropping up about the new rope:  they would leave the Bptafumeiro hanging overnight to test the consistency of the rope and would find it in the morning resting on the floor because the rope had stretched way beyond anticipation, and on and on and on.
One should think that a substitute rope, or two, would have been acquired and tested before this Holy Year.
Well, perhaps the zillion of other things to do precluded such precautions.
In another thing:  85% of the scaffolding surrounding the Portico de Gloria will have been taken down by today, and the uncovered portions will be in full view commencing tomorrow.  Since the restoration is far from finished, there is talk of re erecting the scaffolding when  this Holy Year is over.  I certainly hope so, since the work really needs to be completed and, also, many others should have the opportunity to go up the scaffolding to see the figures up close as 17,000 of us had the tremendous luck to do.
Hugs!
Rosina