[Gocamino] Security in Santiago

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Mon Jul 12 08:12:36 PDT 2010

A little over six months ago, when I went to the opening of the Holy Door last December 31st.  I didn't notice any significant security changes; true, the King and the Queen weren't there, but an awful lot of government people and other members of the Royal family were in attendance. While the processions were splendid, particularly the "translatio", the plumed-hat uniforms magnificent, the Philip II, Charles V court dress worn by some of the participants eye-popping and the music produced by those ancient instruments enthralling, the same friendly, welcoming attitude on the part of the "guards" who were supposed to limit the access to the Cathedral and the squares encouraged attendees to seek, and get, exceptions from whatever the book-rules might have been and a great many did.  (Spain will be Spain.... bless her!)
As for marksmen in the galleries, the only people there were photographers and TV cameramen shooting photographs and videos.
We all know that terrorist attacks have been going on in Spain for decades, mostly from separatists, and that they have caused a great number of deaths and a lot of harm.  To this day the horrible fires that caused such devastation in Galicia a couple of years ago are believed to be separatists-originated. Nevertheless, whatever makes the Spanish disposition so affable has not been cowed into living in fear by such experiences..... they just go on, as always.
Sometimes, though, I do wish that they took more care around certain things,
Going up to the roof of the Cathedral, for instance (to where the ancient pilgrims had to go to burn their old clothing).
The circular stair is very small, the steps are very high, there's  little air or light going up and  the ascent seems endless. Once on the roof most visitors would like to sit and catch their breath, except that there is no place to do so. The entire roof is slanted, rather steeply, and while there are flat walkways, about 15 inches wide, there is absolutely nothing to hold on to. Most fortunately, I had a monopod with me which I used as a walking stick to keep from falling  and, perhaps, rolling down all the way.
(Accustomed to the fact that in New York City, and in most of the USA, one who walks down a street, or mostly anywhere,  and trips and falls because of a crack in the pavement, or what have you, may file a lawsuit for negligence, I've been dumbfounded by the tremendous legal risks  that conditions in other places would pose if they had our legal system.) But I guess they don't.
Meanwhile, four of us New York Santiago pilgrims have already made arrangements to go to Santiago on November 6th for the visit of the Pope.  While there is no  chance of getting anywhere near His Holiness, or into the Cathedral for the Pontifical Mass, the opportunity does seem to be another one of those once-in-a-lifetime happenings that cannot be resisted.
 And, who knows?  Miracles do happen. Hey! Didn't Spain win the World Cup?
Hurrah! Ole, Ole y Ole!
Many hugs, and here's looking at Paul the octopus!

Rosina

 The same friendly and lackadaisical attitude