[Gocamino] Security in Santiago

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Fri Jul 9 10:46:56 PDT 2010

Hello you all,
The Santiago newspapers report today that the 400 policemen and 3,200 Guardia Civil members presently patrolling Santiago, and Camino routes, in the environs will be significantly increased  on July 24 and 25 when the King and Queen will go to Santiago for the festivities on the Apostle's celebratory day.  (There is no real consensus as to how, or why, July 25 came to be celebrated as Santiago's feast day).
It seems that the concern with security has more to do with the fact that Zapatero, the civilian ruler, and its government people will also be in attendance. Because of the economic vicissitudes presently afflicting Spain Mr. Zapatero  appears to be riding a high wave of unpopularity.
In 2004 I went to the Cathedral for the opening  of the Holy Door and was absolutely amazed by the scant security measures despite the fact that the King and the Queen were in attendance.  I got into the Cathedral with a very large umbrella, a bag, two cameras and a floppy raincoat that could have concealed a lot of things. Throughout the ceremonies I was standing in front of the Saint Salome statue, on the Platerias side, in full view of the King and the Queen who were seated in the altar enclosure.  Separated from the royal couple only by a barrier of kneeling newspaper and TV photographers who, of course, were looking only at the couple, and surrounded by church attendees equally enraptured by them, it seemed to me that it would have been very easy for someone standing where I was to do them harm.
When I mentioned my amazement at the Royal Couple's exposure, friends in Santiago  shrugged away my concern saying: "Who would want to hurt the King or the Queen?".  Well, I suppose nobody would.
But maybe the benevolent attitude of Spaniards towards their monarchs does not presently extend to the civilian government in view of the dire economic conditions of the country that suffers, I understand, the highest unemployment rates of young people in Europe.
Now, as to what goes on in and around the Cathedral, particularly in Obradoiro and Platerias on the 25th, the crowds are so thick and heavy that it is impossible to move, particularly at the capstone event,  "The burning of the Cathedral"
at the end of the day and there is simply no possibility for mischief..  Yes, it is spectacular and unlike anything that may be seen elsewhere, but whereas I would always be ready to go to the opening or the closing of the Holy Door, which are accompanied by similar street and pyrotechnic exhibitions, I don't think I would be as tempted to go on July 25th again.
If you want to see something of what goes on during the Burning of the Cathedral go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRSyKQOZPw&feature=PlayList&p=6F8C94C865C1D0E3&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=1

-The pictures were taken by Mari, of the Pilgrims' office, (my own camera burned and, anyway, I was so hemmed in that I couldn't even raise my arms.) The music was added by our dear techno-guru Grant-

I know of a list subscriber that will be on Santiago on that day, and there may be several others.  I would advise you to go to the Cathedral early, stay on the right side of the nave as you enter through the Platerias door. You'll probably won't find a seat, but go to the last column on the right, in front of St Salome, and stand on the base of the column.  You'll get a perfect view since you'll be higher up. Once you install yourself there DO NOT MOVE, or someone will snatch the spot from you in a New York second.
For viewing the "Burning of the Cathedral", go to Obradoiro early, preferably with something to stand on, place the steps, or whatever, smack in front of one of the columns of the government building across the square, and stay there.  You'll be protected from being pushed by the column behind you and will get a wonderful view.
As for the rest, there is music, dancing, food, exhibitions, shows with super-stars, from all over the world, all over the place, all the time, and most people have  a super-fantastic time.

I may not be in shape to do it again, but I am very, very happy that I did go.

Hugs!

Rosina