[Gocamino] [saintjames] Wherefrom "Santiago"?

Wilna Wilkinson twoxscotch at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 08:05:18 PDT 2010

I find this interesting -- more so because of the way everyone seems to want
to complicate matters! I am not sure who this Moore is that you refer to
Rosina, but my feeling is that he missed the obvious! A admit not knowing
the Spanish language -- which you do, but, when I did my research about the
name for my book, I tried to find the connection between Iago (with the San
in front, it gets a 't' - two vowels together -- to form San-t-iago -- and
according to a 79 year old spaniard that I met on the Camino who was called
Santiago, he told me I could also call him Tiago as this is an abbreviation
of Santiago -- and he did not see himself as particularly saintly!..) -- the
connection between the Spanish Iago, the French Jacques, the English James
and Dutch/German Jacob.

It all goes much further than Shakespeare!! (or did I miss the point with
that reference??) The original name is Yaakov or Jacob -- as in the the son
of Isaac and Rebecca and the father of the twelve founders of the twelve
tribes of Israe in the Old Testament. Before translation, of course this was
Latin *Iacobus*, (later *Iacomus*) which was from the Greek * Ιακωβος
**<http://www.behindthename.com/support/transcribe.php?type=GR&target=Iakwbos>
**-- Iakobos*, which was from the Hebrew name *יַעֲקֹב  -- Ya'aqov*. The
meaning of the name is 'supplanter' --- or 'holder of the heel' -- because,
of course, Jacob being held by his heel by his twin brother, Esau, when they
were born. ( -- I remember my favourite  professor at university -- who
adored Shakespeare's logic and reasoning, explaining his cleverness by
citing this example of choice of names -- Iago being the 'supplanter')  From
there then the French turned it into *Jacques*, Spanish into *Iago*, the
Germanic languages into *Jacob*, English into *James *--( the 'm' probably
from the Latin *Iacomus*, a later variant of *Iacobus*.)

Wilna

--
Wilna Wilkinson SC, FITC
Le Chateau

The Way of Stars and Stones -- Thoughts on a Pilgrimage
ISBN 978-0-77009-749-0
Now available on http://www.amazon.com

A walk of 800km down a medieval footpath under the stars of the milky way in
Northern Spain -- for a friend
Blog: http://thewayofstarsandstones.blogspot.com
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Way-of-Stars-and-Stones-Thoughts-on-a-Pilgrimage-by-Wilna-Wilkinson/199770904568