[Gocamino] Fw: Noticias desde Santiago

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Wed Dec 29 09:10:31 PST 2010

Hi Bridget,
This is a dilemma, indeed. Of course we love the Camino and would like to preserve it as the historical and spiritual jewel that it is....... and then.
The daughter of friends of mine in Seville and three friends recently came to New York to visit. All four are multilingual and have graduate degrees, with honors, and have spent the last 18 months looking for a job...... Any job!
Their despair at their scant job prospects actually led them to go to the Brasilian consulate to inquire about emigrating there to find work (Brasil, at present, has zero unemployment, zero foreign debt and their national economy is growing and growing).  If, as reported, Seville is economically better off than other provinces in Spain I can just imagine the conditions in Galicia and other parts of the country.
This is a conundrum that begs the famous question: "What would Jesus do?".
In my view, the only action that pilgrims can take is that being advocated by the Associations: a careful vigilance to ascertain, as much as possible, that the pursuit of profit for its own sake does not sacrifice an irreplaceable human and spiritual heritage.
And then, didn't Jesus say: "Wherever you meet in my name there shall be a church"?
Doesn't it follow that wherever a pilgrim takes to the road "Pietatis Causa" to the tomb of the Apostle in Compostela there will be a Camino?
Hugs!