[Gocamino] [saintjames] RE: More books

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Mon Dec 20 10:54:38 PST 2010

It is scarcely known that Shirley McLaine donated a very sizable percentage of her book profits to several Camino-related religious organizations.  Much to her surprise she found out that under U.S. tax law  she could not use her charitable contributions as a tax deduction, but  she actually had to pay to pay gift taxes to the IRS on such generous largesse! (In the U.S. charitable contributions are only tax-deductible if made to a U.S. properly qualified non-profit organization -501(c)3).
I read in Vienna that the German pilgrim who wrote that blockbuster Camino book also gave away most of the profits therefrom to
charitable and religious organizations.
For the Holy year 2004 Coehlo made a (very nice) Camino DVD accompanying a book of photographs; the undertaking was at the urging of a Japanese TV enterprise and both the book and the DVD had a notation that  profits would be donated.
My favorite Camino book continues to be Linda Davidson's "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago". Nothing else that I have read, or attempted to, comes anywhere near it.  But, of course, the book is strictly historically and culturally fact-based, and as such it is a veritable treasure.
Hugs!
Rosina