[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re: [Santiagobis]

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Fri Aug 20 02:00:38 PDT 2010

Hellö you all,
>From what I understood, some of them were going to bicycle from Roncesvalles and others were going to walk from Leon. It appears that there is now a German center oin Santiago itself to help, guide, etc., German pilgrims. It also appeared that they would have to complete the pilgrimage in August since they must be back in school, work and so on at the beginning of September.
There is now a brand new Santiago üilgrims albergue in the center of Bayreuth itself (there was a beautiful one already in a large log cobin in the forest at the edge of the town) located right next to the main Catholic church which is in the center of town.
they were having a lecture about the connection between the Wagner great opera Parsifal and the Camino.  It seems that a German poet-monk some centuries ago stayed for a few months in O Cebreiro and wrote a legendary poem about the Holy Grail that so impressed Wagner that he used it as a basis for the opera.
I did not attend the lecture because it was, pof course, in German which I do not understand (sigh!), but I've been quite struck by the fact that the staging of the last act of Parsifal at New York's Metropolitan Opera House resembles so very much the environs of Somport which is where it is supposed to have taken place.
The Holy Grail is believed to have travelled from Jerusalem to Rome, then to Jaca, to San Juan de la Penha, to Cebreiro, back to Jaca and then to Zaragoza and now it is venerated at the Cathedral in Valencia. (Many people died protecting it during the spanish Civil War..... the whole saga is heartbreaking and wondrous).
Another large group of pilgrims will part from nearby Bramberg on Sunday and will get a festive send-off. I'll try to find out more details.
Hugs!
Rosina
ps. This Bavarian  weather is absolutely delightful.