[Gocamino] [saintjames] Aftermath

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Sun Aug 8 18:37:52 PDT 2010

Hi Bob,
Some very wise, apocryphal,  soul when asked "why do you climb mountains?" replied: "Because they are there".
Why do we extend our life beyond the every day routine? Because we can.
For Christians, I think, the Camino has a very endearing and familiar calling. Jesus said: "Yo soy el Camino, la verdad, y la vida". (I am the Way.....)
Who can resist that call? As long as the body can go, what are pains, physical difficulties and such? There'll be plenty of time later on to rest in peace.
The Camino statistics show the impressive number of pilgrims beyond seventy years of age. I wish some of them would share their feelings and insights in this forum..... or somewhere. Their views would surely alter the all too frequent perception of the Camino pilgrimage as a "trek".
Oh well!
In a few hours I'll be on my way to that other pilgrimage of mine: Richard Wagner's Bayreuh festival.  I often have thought that the best expression, meaning, and inspiration of the Camino pilgrimage can be found in the Wagner operas "Lohengrin" and "Parsifal". But Wagnerian operas, like the Camino itself, are neither a walk in the park nor an ice-cream sundae. But anyone looking for a vivid expression of the pilgrimage's meaning will find it there.
At any rate, there are many Holy Xacobean Year celebrations in Berlin and in Bamberg (a stone's throw from Bayreuth and the site of Santiago activities in Germany) and I will let you know about things of interest.
Meanwhile, Auf later!
Hugs!
Rosina