[Gocamino] Matajudios????

Patricia Barboni pbarboni at cox.net
Thu May 7 08:43:53 PDT 2009

Thanks to all who contributed on this subject....really fascinating (loved
Grant's diatribe)and for all the book recommendations... Here's some more on
the mata subject.

On one my visits to the Basque country in recent years, a most interesting
event occurred.  I was staying with friends in a small 500+-yr old village,
pop. less than 40. (won't name it to protect the privacy of the residents).
It is one of those small peaceful, idyllic villages where a traveling priest
visits only once a month or so. The village church is equipped with the "de
rigueur" fronton using one of its outside walls and a small, unkept
graveyard with ancient headstones, overgrown with moss and other greenery.
The church had a bell tower that was in dire need of renovation, since none
had been done for the past 200 yrs.  Soon after the workmen began their
tasks there was much commotion....the workmen discovered a small locked room
in the tower, which they needed to access to perform their work.  Upon
opening, they discovered human remains, of what was estimated to be
approximately 30 poor souls. The local thought was that these were Navarrans
who were executed by Franco's soldiers during the civil war.  Apparently
sometimes a local priest would "negotiate" for the preservation of his
church by becoming party to obscuring the evidence.

There was a book my friends shared with me (the title escapes me) which was
in Spanish, about 3-4 inches thick, written in the '80s.  It was a
compilation of first-person accounts from survivors and children of the
deceased, including photos, regarding thousands of Navarrans who perished
under Franco...how they were tortured and executed.  The book was written so
that the lost would not be forgotten.  I won't go into the gory details, but
my tears were streaming as I read of the committed atrocities.

In noticing the reaction of the village residents to the bell tower
discovery, it would seem there are residual fears. The guardia civil came to
the village to investigate. There was no group discussion among the
villagers, just quiet, hushed comments here and there. A softer "official"
theory was proposed by the investigators...that these were remains that were
dug up during past renovations to the graveyard and just never re-interred.
I don't think the locals "bought" that one...as the remains were more recent
than the last renovations.  My friends and I had our own candlelight
memorial for those who were lost.

Personally, I prefer to think of the names "Matamoros" and "Matajudios" as
something of an homage to the perished ones....as a reminder of man's
inhumanity to man...lest we forget...and perhaps will encourage us all to be
less judgmental, more forgiving, more loving.

Besos to all,
Patricia in California