[Gocamino] - Ultreya Matajudios????

Sil sillydoll at gmail.com
Wed May 6 10:58:16 PDT 2009

There was a lot of 'mata' going on in those days!!
Jacob the fisherman evolved into the archetypal hero of Western culture.  From
Sant’ Iago Matamoros (killer of the Moors) to Sant’ Iago Mataindios (killer
of Indians) to - ironically - Sant’ Iago Mataespañois (killer of
Spaniards)!!

In Mexico City there is a carving from the altarpiece of the Church of
Santiago Tlatelolco showing him as Santiago Mataindios - the Indian-slayer.

And although Christianity and the Catholic religion were taken to the
Americas by the Spaniards, when Mexico fought to obtain its independence
from Spain in 1810, Sant’ Iago was exalted as Santiago Mataespañois  - the
slayer of Spaniards!

In Peru, during an indigenous uprising in 19th-century they adopted Santiago
as its champion, using the "Matamoros" iconography of  “Santiago
Mataespañois” that in Peru had come to be associated with a pre-Columbian
deity who drove out evil forces.

There is a mid-19thC silver statue of Santiago Mataespañois in the Museum of
Pilgrimages in Santiago de Compostela.

http://www.aug.edu/augusta/iconography/spain2005/mataespanoisSantiago.html

and another one – scroll down to under Ano 1998 - (as well as pictures of
items from the museum) here:

 http://www.mdperegrinacions.com/paxinas/historia.html

You can see the altarpiece of Santiago Mataindios here (click on the photo
to enlarge it)

http://instructional1.calstatela.edu/bevans/Art454L-03-TlatelolcoXochimilc/I00004.html

You can see paintings of Santiago Matamoros and Mataindios together here:

http://www.huancainos.com/literatura/babelandes.htm

--
Sil
http://amawalker.blogspot.com/