[Gocamino] [Santiagobis] Re: Camino

jack degroot jackdegroot at yahoo.com
Sun May 3 01:59:00 PDT 2009

Thanks Robert, I will print out your helpful list. Indeed the distance from Sarria to SDC is
114 kms, not the 111 kms which appear on the milestone. The distance might even increase once the new airport is completed.

Before I leave home I put a plastic bag with toiletries in my backpack, a sleeping bag, clothing and the usual paperwork. It only takes 5 minutes to prepare a pilgrimage, but that hasn't always been the case ... (I have been on the camino since 2001, 7-8 times a year.)
My biggest asset is my knowledge of the Spanish language (and culture). I have met pilgrims who prepared their trip for 2-3 years, getting everything right except the language. Equipment can be bought; a language has to be learned, and that requires (a lot of) effort.

"Prepare as well as you can, and you'll be alright," is my advice to those persons who come to the camino for the first time. Soon you will be a veteran, and pack in 5 minutes.

I'll walk Sarria - SDC from 21-25 May 2009, just like my first pilgrimage eight years ago.

Gr, Jck