[Gocamino] [Santiagobis] Re: Camino

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Sat May 2 09:25:01 PDT 2009

Jack,

I have already done the 114 km from Sarria to SdeC twice before — at
the end of much longer trips. (I got lost both times on the last 4
km.) As far as weight is concerned, I've got it down to about 25
pounds, about the same as last year. That includes clothes, because
you are carrying them after all. The clothes  weigh about five pounds
and there are 2-3 pounds of stuff that will be in my pockets rather
than in the pack. So say 17-18. But then I often start the day with
3.3 pounds  of water (1.5 l) added and up to five pounds of food, so
that can bring the actual pack weight to up to over 25 pounds. In
Galicia I will probably be getting by with less water than that.

The big ticket items are:
The pack, 2.3#. There are lighter ones available, I know, but I need a
waist strap — my back can't handle the full pack weight for very long
before it starts protesting and a hip pack alone is just too small to
hold even my bare essentials.
My low cut shoes at 2.2# (note: I have never worn heavy boots, but my
ordinary shoes seem to be rather heavy.)
A pair of canes at 1.3# total — a lot lighter than the heavy wooden
walking sticks that I have used in the past and much less likely to
collapse like the lightweight trekking poles that I have used a couple
of times. Also the canes should be more effective for coping with the
incapacities of this ancient bag of bones and I have hopes that I can
take them as carryon which would not be true of other walking aids.
The hump back full length rain coat is 0.9#.
A pair of convertible pants at 0.8#s.
A pair of crocs, 0.8#. These seem like a luxury, but most albergues
nowadays require shoe or boot removal, so the crocs save the socks.
Down vest and stuff sack for same, 0.7#. An essential when you don't
have a sleeping bag.
Laundry kit — clothes pins, cords, sink stopper, net bag, soap,
plastic S-hook, 0.7#.
Two shirts, 1.3#.
Windbreaker, 0.5#.
Spare pants — just the shorts from another pair of convertible pants
to use when washing the regular pair, 0.5#
Other clothes, both wear and spare - 3 sets t-shirts and briefs, 2
heavy pair of walking socks, and six pair of very lightweight inner
socks (about 1 oz. per pair), broad brim hat, neckerchief, and
waterproof stuff bag for clothes total of about 2.0#.
Camera and 3 sets of power cells for the camera, 0.8#
Sleep sack (liner) with stuff sack, 0.4# (I don't bring a sleeping bag
per se, just the liner and wear all my other stuff when the albergue
does not have blankets — yeah, there are a few.
30 day supply of medicinals, 1.1#. A lot less than I had to carry on
my long term trips.
Precautions against geriatric plumbing failure, 0.7#
Bag of first aid supplies and emergency space blanket, 0.7#
Toilet and shower kits, includes hairbrush, shaver, and 3 sets of
power cells for the shaver, 1.6#
Lots of paper goods that come to a lot of weight, but too numerous to
detail and I haven't done a total — Spanish/English dictionary, copies
of last 120km of MMDD, Aeroguia, and Jakobsweg, passport, copies of
passport and credit/debit cards in case of losses, copies of
reservation confirmations, copy of travel insurance document, copy of
essential pages of camera manual, Moleskine notebook for diary and
accounts, kleenex packets, the two pilgrim credentials, etc.
Then there are lots of miscellaneous items in the less than 3 oz.
range and they do add up, but if you really want to cut weight it is
in the big ticket items like those listed above.
Just a couple of days to go now. I have all the junk assembled. Now
the chore is to get it all organized, sorted, and packed. This
includes what I need for the long trip to LAX, a couple of overnight
stays there and the drive back.

Bob S.