[Gocamino] July 25th. Day of Saint James

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Tue Jul 21 10:06:57 PDT 2009

Hello you all,

Next Saturday, July 25th, is the Day of Santiago (St. James Day) which the city of Santiago and its environs commemorate big time.

I was there last year, and accustomed as I am to the stunning gregariousness of the Andalucians during Holy Week, the April Fair and the Romeria of the Virgin of Rocio, I was pretty much taken aback by the celebrations in Santiago for the “Dia del Apostol” (Apostle Day). During the week leading to the day the entire Casco was a playground cum- food-fest during the daytime and a huge dance, music and dining contest, during the evening with many stages set up throughout the city whereon famous artists from Europe and South America performed. (Next year, a Holy Year, Bruce Springsteen “the Boss” will be one of them).

The Alameda was transformed into a fair with a roller coster, flying chairs and all sorts of rides and a huge “Noriega” (Ferris Wheel) that could be seen from very far away.  They also had lovely welcoming tents from several countries:  there was a Brasilian one where that delicious national Brasilian drink “caipirinha” was ser ved and young man and women from Brasil were conducting “samba” classes to willing learners; there was another tent from Cuba where “Cuba Libres” and Daiquiris were being served and young Cubans were teaching how to “rumba” and so on. There was also a tent from Mexico with a very lively 18-musicians mariachi band and, of
course, margaritas, although I was somewhat surprised by the fact that most visitors to that tent were drinking their tequila straight with salt and lemon.  In all those tents there were offering of national dishes of the various countries.

And there were many others tents, including a huge one from somewhere in Galicia, where they were serving octopus in every form imaginable.

The facade of the Cathedral was covered with structures that would lead to its “burning”, and all through the day there were dozens of bagpipers in traditional costumes playing their lively tunes in the square.

At about 10 p.m. of the day every inch of Obradoiro was occupied; it would have been impossible to fit a needle in it, despite the threat of rain. Well, it didn’t rain and the “burning” took place which was indescribably spectacular.  While I myself couldn’t take any pictures because I just couldn’t move, somehow Mari, of the Pilgrims Office (recently married) managed to take some pictures while standing still and unable to move one single step.  The pictures may give some idea of what goes on during the “burning”.  If you wish, you can see the pictures by going to

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRSyKQOZPw

While I was hugely impressed by the spectacle, frankly I couldn’t help thinking about the possible damage that such bombardment would cause to a structure which is almost 1,000 years old, particularly since it went on and on.  While I was sti
ll in Santiago the papers reported that future celebrations would not be so fireworks-lavish and extensive because some damage to the Cathedral had been detected.

True, the whole thing was pretty much out of this world, but I must admit that I enjoyed the festivities for the opening and the closing of the Holy Door much more. While they also have a lot of music, and food, and stages with performers and spectacular fireworks, there is something about them more pleasing to me. In fact, I’ve already have reservations to go to the opening of the Holy Door next December 31st.  Perhaps the burning of churches is anathema to my perception, even if in play, or perhaps the fact that the opening of the Holy Door, beyond the celebrations, has sort of a purpose: to go through it. I don’t know.

Be that as it may, during the celebratory Mass of the Day of the Apostle last year there was a different, and more extensive, use of the Botafumeiro to the singing of a hea venly choral group. That alone would make me want to go to Santiago on another July 25th some year.

Well, I thought you might want to see the pictures. Our techie wizard, Grant, put them together and added the music,   which happens to sound just like what was being played on Obradoiro on July 25th last year.

Hugs!

Rosina