[Gocamino] abbreviated Camino and medical help...

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Sat Jan 3 15:19:42 PST 2009

Hi,
In defense of my profession I'd like to point out that lawyers do not create, or impose, the ramifications, extensions, or interpretations of tort law
provisions such as ordinary negligence and malpractice (professional negligence); we only do our best to represent those who have suffered what the law recognizes as a damages-provoking injury.?It is the elected legislators that enact tort laws which are then interpreted by judges, with the; damages to be?assessed by juries. A lawyer who does not do her/his best in the system, as it is, for the benefit of the client would be in breach of the canon of ethics and subject to disciplinary action.?
I once saw a backpack-laden pilgrim fall down the front steps of the Santiago Cathedral and hurt herself seriously, and when I asked whether she intended to sue she looked at me as though I were from Mars. Perhaps such causes of action?are not needed in Spain because medical care there is so unbelievably inexpensive.
Some months ago the Xunta published the availability of a modified form of health insurance for pilgrims, which looked comprehensive and eminently affordable. I will dig out the details and will post them.
?This past summer there were? two people sort-of-patrols up and down the French and other Caminos; they visited albergues. tourist information offices and so on, to make sure that there weren't any pilgrims in need of medical, or other help.
For the past few years the University of Madrid has sent about 40 podiatrists, and podiatry students, to the Camino to help pilgrims with foot problems; in Santiago itself those red-jacketed volunteers routinely approach a limping pilgrim to make sure that s/he is getting proper care.?
Unfortunately their function is not always understood. When I asked a pilgrim, in crutches,?why she wouldn't talk to them she told me that she thought they were looking for a donation or something like that.
Fortunately in 2009 the Pilgrims Office will hand out information about pilgrims' facilities and services, heretofore available only in Spanish, translated into several languages; this should minimize such misunderstandings.
Hugs!
Rosina?